Question Memtest86 test 6 and 8 errors on Corsair Vengeance 2x8 3600 MHz

Dec 29, 2020
Hello. I have built Ryzen 7 5800X, Asus TUF B550M Plus amd 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 MHz system. The local shop I purchased said when he installed RAMs as dual channel, 3600 MHz couldn't be met so he insralled them as single channel after updating BIOS.
This system started having blue screen in stress (one time in Cyberpunk 2077, one time in installing a game). And CPU fans (it may also be GPU fans, I'm not sure) were at very high speed and they were rattling in stress. I have searched over internet and my friends, I saw RAMs may have installed incorrectly or they are broken. I'm not familiar with XMP or CL or increasing / decreasing voltage so, I didn't even touch those settings.
I tested RAMs with Memtest86 and had tons of errors in test 6 and 8.
I have decided to replace slots. After few tries, I have managed to start the computer again (it failed to start at first and fans were working at very high speed even at booting).
Now fans don't even work at high speed but at medium even in Cyberpunk and my CPU temperature is about 60 degrees Celsius average.
I also tried the install a game that took 1.5 hour to install before I replaced RAMs and now it is installed in 25 min.
After replacing, I also tested RAMs with Windows Memory Diagnostic and found 0 errors. But now RAMs are at 2666 MHz not 3600 MHz.
What could be the problem before?

D

Deleted member 2720853

Corsair Vengeance LPX
problems with Ryzen

Oh, why am I not surprised.

It means your RAM is not stable at advertised settings with your CPU's integrated memory controller/motherboard, or the RAM kit itself is faulty, but since it's Vengeance LPX, I think it's the former.

What you can do there is get another kit of RAM, or run the one you have at 2666, which will hinder the performance of your Ryzen, as Ryzen's performance is dependent on RAM speed. On Zen 3, I'd rather have 3600 MHz.

There's a reason I don't recommend Vengeance LPX memory to people using Ryzen especially Zen 3. Their kits are more optimized for Intel CPUs.

If you want mostly trouble free memory, G.Skill (especially Trident Z Neo) is the way to go. They boast very good AMD platform compatibility. I can concur - my 4 sticks of 8gb each Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16-16-16-36 worked perfectly with my Ryzen 9 3900X and ROG Strix B550-F -- considering Ryzens don't like you having 4 sticks (Zen 2 makes this less of a problem but it's still there), I didn't expect it to. And the RAM kit isn't even on my board's qualified memory vendor list, or the G.Skill configurator for B550. Was even able to OC the RAM timings. :3

Of course, saying all this, there's also been several memory/WHEA errors when you ran a kit higher than 3200 MHz with Zen 3 at the beginning of its lifecycle. I don't know if these problems are still present, as I do not own a Zen 3 chip myself, but you can try updating your BIOS (avoid beta BIOSes) and see if the problem continues. If not, then you found the issue. If it does continue, then you might wanna start thinking twice about using Vengeance LPX with Ryzen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SamirD
Dec 29, 2020
Oh, why am I not surprised.

It means your RAM is not stable at advertised settings with your CPU's integrated memory controller/motherboard, or the RAM kit itself is faulty, but since it's Vengeance LPX, I think it's the former.

What you can do there is get another kit of RAM, or run the one you have at 2666, which will hinder the performance of your Ryzen, as Ryzen's performance is dependent on RAM speed. On Zen 3, I'd rather have 3600 MHz.

There's a reason I don't recommend Vengeance LPX memory to people using Ryzen especially Zen 3. Their kits are more optimized for Intel CPUs.

If you want mostly trouble free memory, G.Skill (especially Trident Z Neo) is the way to go. They boast very good AMD platform compatibility. I can concur - my 4 sticks of 8gb each Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16-16-16-36 worked perfectly with my Ryzen 9 3900X and ROG Strix B550-F -- considering Ryzens don't like you having 4 sticks (Zen 2 makes this less of a problem but it's still there), I didn't expect it to. And the RAM kit isn't even on my board's qualified memory vendor list, or the G.Skill configurator for B550. Was even able to OC the RAM timings. :3

Of course, saying all this, there's also been several memory/WHEA errors when you ran a kit higher than 3200 MHz with Zen 3 at the beginning of its lifecycle. I don't know if these problems are still present, as I do not own a Zen 3 chip myself, but you can try updating your BIOS (avoid beta BIOSes) and see if the problem continues. If not, then you found the issue. If it does continue, then you might wanna start thinking twice about using Vengeance LPX with Ryzen.
But it's weird that performance is increased with 2666 MHz.
Do you think Ryzen will be hindered too much?