[SOLVED] Memtest86 writing progress stuck

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I plugged in a 1GB USB flash drive tin FAT format to use memtest86, and it's stuck at 13.4% write progress.
https://prnt.sc/13g1518
Later on I decided to open disk partitions and it wouldn't load, the green bar then disappeared but it was still showing 13.4% progress after 10 minutes.

I looked into event viewer and found this:
Warning 2021-05-26 11:40:59 AM disk 153 None
The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000008b) was retried.

I decided to abort, it did nothing and neither did ejecting the USB so I was forced to remove it.

Does anyone know what format I should use for the USB to write memtest86 to it? How come my USB is having problems with writing memtest86? My USB can only use FAT format, is that why?

Last edited:

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
i would try a different USB stick perhaps? Memtest only meant to need 512mb but if there is a problem with the USB, it won't finish
So it has nothing to do with the format? Memtest86 will write on any format? Does it matter if it's GPT or MBR and will it not work if my system is GPT and the USB is MBR?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sort of depends which memtest you use
memtest86 will work on either UEFI or Legacy boot methods, other versions may not.

USB should be fat32

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
it sort of depends which memtest you use
memtest86 will work on either UEFI or Legacy boot methods, other versions may not.

USB should be fat32
I was not aware there were multiple memtests, the one I want is the default test and I just want to write the image to a USB like done in many tutorials.
Wouldn't NTFS be also viable because my OS is on NTFS too? What about GPT?

Colif

Win 11 Master
fat32 is best format for the USB as the BIOS can boot off it even if its set to Legacy or UEFI boot.
Only reason to not use FAT32 is if the USB is like one of mine and 256gb in size, fat32 has limits but thats at 4gb, larger USB drives use Exfat file format - https://www.howtogeek.com/73178/what-file-system-should-i-use-for-my-usb-drive/
GPT is for even bigger drives again, its overkill for a USB drive.

Solution