Merged + Moved Program Files and Program Files (x86) - Now Having Problems - Help Please

ben-rhyno

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Hello,

**DISCLAIMER - I have very little idea what I am doing with computers and am possibly a little naive with them so please try and be understanding**

I am an online poker player and recently bought a new PC with both a 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. The SSD was for windows 7, and basically just my poker and analysis software (hold em manager 2/notecaddy). If anyone is familiar with notecaddy and poker, I had a database of 3 million hands and was trying to create notes using "definitions" and I noticed that this was rapidly filling my SSD up. I couldn't cancel the process so I tried to make room by moving my program files folders onto my HDD (which I later find was a mistake). When I was getting messages saying I don't have permissions to move certain files I just clicked skip and I thought everything had worked.

But now when I try to open or download some programs, I get various error messages about missing DLL's, not having permissions etc and I'm pretty stuck. I wanted to try system restore to 2 days ago but it turns out that it hadn't been configured to create any restore points so that went out of the window.

I am able to repair some of the programs by trying to open each one, and moving them back to my C drive and placing them in program files or (x86) by trial and error but I am worried by some of the error messages I get.

Have I done some irreparable damage here? What is the best plan of action for me?

Best regards

Solution
if you kept the file system the same and know where all of the files came from... then you can try putting them back in their original location.

chances are that you're looking for a reinstall of windows though.

ben-rhyno

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Thanks for the reply, I've moved most of them back into Program files or (x86) by trial and error until they work again, it's not giving me any problems atm and it's a poker-only computer so if I don't download much else I shouldn't have any problems I guess. One problem I did have was when Idownloaded something, it said I couldn't extract it due to something being misisng but can't recreate the situation to find the error message again.

ben-rhyno

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

No, I already managed to get 7zip and winrar back to their correct places. I can't remember the program now but it's fine, I'll update the thread if I encounter further problems. Thanks again, much appreciated.