[SOLVED] Merging drives w/out losing anything?

aerski

Commendable
Nov 26, 2019
I'm wondering if it's possible to merge Disk 0 (Drive C) and Disk 1 (Drive D) without losing anything stored in Drive C. Reason being, Drive C is my main drive (and has been for a year or so) and i have a lot of stuff stored on it. I was running out of memory since it's only 500 GB so i bought a 2TB Samsung Evo drive, and hooked that up. I converted them both to Dynamic.
The only way i found was to delete both drives, make them unallocated, and convert the space into a spanned volume - striped volume but i don't want to lose anything. The other method i had in mind is to move ALL my things from Drive C to an old computer i had that has 900 GB (enough for all my stuff, Drive C is only 500 GB) but i have no idea how to transfer it- they're both Windows 10, by the way.

If there's any option for merging drives without losing anything on one drive, any help would be appreciated..

Solution
Merging drives like that only brings heartache down the road.
Simply move some stuff to the larger D drive.

And if you can, Undo them from Dynamic.

aerski

Commendable
Nov 26, 2019
Merging drives like that only brings heartache down the road.
Simply move some stuff to the larger D drive.

And if you can, Undo them from Dynamic.
Okay, I plan on doing that. How would I transfer my files from C drive to D drive?
I was also wondering if once I transfer everything, could I just remove the C drive since I really won't use it anymore? Or would it not boot up.

USAFRet

Titan
C Drive is a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB SSD (MZ-V7E500BW), and the D drive is a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E2T0B/AM)
Above, I said "move some stuff".
You should absolutely leave the OS and applications on that 970 EVO, and move some things off it onto the 860 EVO to free up space.

Having 2 independent drives is absolutely no problem, and a very common configuration.

What is currently taking up space on the C drive?

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the C drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

We can identify what can easily be moved to the 2TB 860.

aerski

Commendable
Nov 26, 2019
computer.PNG
computer3.PNG
comp.png
C Drive is a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB SSD (MZ-V7E500BW), and the D drive is a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E2T0B/AM)
It seems the things that take up the most spaces are games, because i usually don't download anything large in size other than games.
(I had posted pictures but for some reason, they just dissapeared? Strange)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
computer.PNG
computer3.PNG
comp.png

It seems the things that take up the most spaces are games, because i usually don't download anything large in size other than games.
So move some/all off to the 2TB drive.

If Steam games, this:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library