Merging spare parts - Advice

pernicious

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Hey all.

It's been way too long since I've been in the hardware game and I need some good advice. About 3 years ago, I bought a truck load of computers for various reasons, and then no longer needed them. I've managed to give most of them away to charities, but I've kept the two "most powerful" (Okay, you're gonna laugh) for myself. Last week, my main gaming computer started getting unreliable, and I feel the need to consolidate all my good parts into 1 computer.

I have:

Athlon 3200+ - Overclocked to about 2500Mhz for about 3 years, water cooled. Possibly Damanged
Abit KV7 MB. Possibly Damaged
1Gb of Corsair Value Select RAM - Possibly Damaged
4 x 60gb SATA hard drives + external controller (Cheap - uses CPU as processing unit)
Nvidia 6600(GT?) - AGP
Antec 550W PSU

^^ the above is the flakey computer, and it is watercooled.

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
2GB of Corsair Value Select RAM - Put into the OC'ed Athlon, and it *may* be damaged as well.
High End Abit motherboard (can't remember exactly what) but it doesn't take Core Duos or Core 2 Duos.
Radeon 9800 PCI-E
Antec 450W PSU
2x 200Gb SATA using onboard SATA controller.

Loose bits never installed:
350W Peltier (cooling capacity, not draw) w/ 420W Switchmode

The problem I have, is that the good video card is in the crap machine, and can't be transfered over (AGP vs PCI-E). I don't know if I should just throw the 6600 out and buy an X1950Pro, or if I should get 2nd hand AGP Pentium 4 mother board, or 2nd hand Althon... There's about a thousand different combinations, but the bottom line is, I want a working computer with decent games capability until the end of the year. I have about $300 to tide me over to the end of the year, then I will spend about $2-2.5k on a new computer.

Any suggestions?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Well, first you've got to figure out what is wrong, but with a 3 year, 2.5GHz OC-ed Athlon XP, I don't think you will have any doubt. Both your systems cross in such a stupid way that you can't reuse much of one in the other.
The best solution IMO is selling one of the two and getting new parts to upgrade the other.

TRENDING THREADS