Question Mesh Network - Home

Jun 26, 2023
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading to Nest Wi-Fi and meshing it with our existing Goggle Wi-Fi;

Our home has 3 first gen(flat top) Google Wi-Fi points with 550Mb down and 20Mb up to the Google Wi-Fi router from the Spectrum modem.

• If I mesh them together(which I read from Google it is an option), will the Google Wi-Fi be a bottleneck to the Nest Wi-Fi, ultimately a bottleneck to my endpoints?
  • I have six Blink cameras running at all times with nine cameras altogether when needed. **There are also three Sync Modules that the cameras communicate with to send data to the cloud. Along with an Xbox from time to time.
  • TVs(2), Phones(3), Laptops(at least one online most of the time), etc.
  • If I upgrade to the Nest Wi-Fi system, will I be wasting money or should consider moving to a different platform?
  • I definitely like the 5400 sq ft. that the Nest Wi-Fi provides vs Google Wi-Fi at 4500 sq ft. As I have cameras outside.
Respectfully,
Shane

Thank you.

Jun 26, 2023
If your device is still connected to the first gen Goggle Wi-Fi, then your device connection speed still depends on those Wi-Fi points(550Mb down and 20Mb up). If your device is connected to Nest Wi-Fi, but does not support Wi-Fi 6E, the improvement is not very significant compared to the original Wi-Fi.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading to Nest Wi-Fi and meshing it with our existing Goggle Wi-Fi;

Our home has 3 first gen(flat top) Google Wi-Fi points with 550Mb down and 20Mb up to the Google Wi-Fi router from the Spectrum modem.

• If I mesh them together(which I read from Google it is an option), will the Google Wi-Fi be a bottleneck to the Nest Wi-Fi, ultimately a bottleneck to my endpoints?
  • I have six Blink cameras running at all times with nine cameras altogether when needed. **There are also three Sync Modules that the cameras communicate with to send data to the cloud. Along with an Xbox from time to time.
  • TVs(2), Phones(3), Laptops(at least one online most of the time), etc.
  • If I upgrade to the Nest Wi-Fi system, will I be wasting money or should consider moving to a different platform?
  • I definitely like the 5400 sq ft. that the Nest Wi-Fi provides vs Google Wi-Fi at 4500 sq ft. As I have cameras outside.
Respectfully,
Shane

Thank you.
The square footage numbers provide are completely made up and there is no way to predict if the Nest will be better or worse than the Google.
Mesh (wireless uplink) is a poor substitute for wired connectivity.

Jun 26, 2023
If your device is still connected to the first gen Goggle Wi-Fi, then your device connection speed still depends on those Wi-Fi points(550Mb down and 20Mb up). If your device is connected to Nest Wi-Fi, but does not support Wi-Fi 6E, the improvement is not very significant compared to the original Wi-Fi.
Sakura,

Appreciate the feedback. That is exactly what I thought.

Thank you,

Jun 26, 2023
The square footage numbers provide are completely made up and there is no way to predict if the Nest will be better or worse than the Google.
Mesh (wireless uplink) is a poor substitute for wired connectivity.
Hi Kane,

I agree on the sq ft number 100%. A lot of factors to consider.

I'm possibly going to look at a different platform, but prices considerably rise as I research.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jun 26, 2023
Do you have ethernet or coax cabling to provide a wired backbone ?
Coax from Spectrum to the Spectrum modem then ethernet to the Google Wi-Fi router then two Google Wi-Fi extending mesh points connecting back to the router via Wi-Fi.

Hope that makes sense or answers your questions.

Thanks,

kanewolf

Titan
Coax from Spectrum to the Spectrum modem then ethernet to the Google Wi-Fi router then two Google Wi-Fi extending mesh points connecting back to the router via Wi-Fi.

Hope that makes sense or answers your questions.

Thanks,
No other wired connectivity around the house? If no, then my recommendation is to pay to have ethernet cabling run to a couple locations.
Put all stationary devices, PCs, TVs, game consoles on WIRED connections. A wired network is what will give you the best and most consistent performance.

Jun 26, 2023
No other wired connectivity around the house? If no, then my recommendation is to pay to have ethernet cabling run to a couple locations.
Put all stationary devices, PCs, TVs, game consoles on WIRED connections. A wired network is what will give you the best and most consistent performance.
Thanks Kane. That makes total sense.

Question: How do I know if I'm getting full bandwidth to each Wi-Fi endpoint, given the bandwidth feeding the modem and the mesh system I have?

Sometimes I'm barely getting 100Mb to my laptop, but I have a lot going on with the cameras, TVs, laptops, Echos etc.

Maybe this is normal given the bandwidth and mesh system I have. Idk

Thanks,

TRENDING THREADS