Mesh network with netgear R7000

hadreth

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Hi,

I'm have a dead spot on my WiFi, so I want to use an extender. I know alot of thoose are usualy giving more headaces then they are solving anything.

I was looking at the netgear EX8000. Since already have the netgear R7000, so it sould work with it. I also saw somewhere that u cant use the EX8000 as an acces point and still use mesh (i realy want mesh just so i dont have alot of SSID's) but i have a Cat6 cable laying in position so i want to use that. Cables are always better right ;)

Does anyone have any experience with an EX8000 and a cable as an input?

Perhaps i can get my R7000 meshing with my ISP modem/router? Do you know this?

Solution
If you have ethernet cable to the dead spots you just use AP. This has been the gold standard solution used by business since the beginning of wifi.

For the vast majority of people they just want strong signal in all areas. In general the equipment will always connect to the closest device. If it does not you just stop and start the wifi connection and it connects to the correct one. The reason some people...like me...use different SSID is so I can control what I am connected to. The down side is you must manually connect and disconnect to move between device.

Mesh is just a fancy name for a repeater. Many do nothing more and suffer the same problems. Some of the better ones use 1 radio to talk to the main unit and a...
Just set the SSID the same and use the ex8000 as a AP. Mesh does not solve the problem of devices not using the radio you want. That is controlled by the end device. The end devices only have a single radio so they can not scan for other devices to connect to while they are using the radio. They many times will stay connected to a radio that is not the strongest and only check when it drops below a certain level.

There is suppose to be some new radio protocol that will allow better roaming but I don't know if its been released or what if any end device use it.

Mesh is mostly marketing hype if there was a magic solution to this problem enterprise customers would not be paying cisco and HP huge amounts of money for their custom systems....and even these have issue with seamless roaming.

Then again who realistically walks around their house watching video or playing games where you need actual seamless roaming. I can only laugh at the guy who falls down the stairs doing something that silly.

hadreth

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
So what you are saying is to just get a cheaper extender to fix only my deadspot, because the rest isn't really worth it unless you really need it? And to just forget about the mesh for now?
Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and giving such a long answer. It really helps me think when discussing with someone who knows the tech im talking about. I don't really have any friends that know that stuff.. they think Wi-Fi is the internet and stuff like that.... if I talk to them about lan, dhcp and isp they will just look at me with a weerd look on there face. XD you know the ones im talking about.

If you have ethernet cable to the dead spots you just use AP. This has been the gold standard solution used by business since the beginning of wifi.

For the vast majority of people they just want strong signal in all areas. In general the equipment will always connect to the closest device. If it does not you just stop and start the wifi connection and it connects to the correct one. The reason some people...like me...use different SSID is so I can control what I am connected to. The down side is you must manually connect and disconnect to move between device.

Mesh is just a fancy name for a repeater. Many do nothing more and suffer the same problems. Some of the better ones use 1 radio to talk to the main unit and a second to talk to the end clients. They all suffer from now having 2 radio connection instead of just 1 that can be interfered with. With a AP one of those connections is replaced by ethernet.

To really work well they would have to move to a system like a cell tower uses. The cell tower network is in full control of the end device, its power levels and radio frequencies. This is completely the reverse of current wifi where the end device is in control and not the router/network

Solution