[SOLVED] Mesh System?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
Hey guys I plan to go out and buy a mesh system today because my currently router cannot handle 15 devices and cant cover my whole house. I currently have it narrowed down to 3,the google WiFi,netgear orbi rk50 or netgear night hawk ax 1800.What do you guys recommend?

Solution
  • what ISP speed you have
  • 150mbps down
  • what model your current router is
  • Netgear N600
  • what country you live in
  • United States
  • If you think you will increase your ISP speed in the near future.
  • I probably am going to move into a bigger house in the future and probably get a faster plan,yes
If you have 150Mb ISP service, then you definitely need a router with gigabit ethernet ports. That router is at least dual band (good) but is very old.
If you want to stay with Netgear, you could get an R7000 and see what provides. If you really want to try mesh, the Orbi system is well rated.

kanewolf

Titan
Well idk what any of that is
The terms "MoCA" and "powerline network" are very searchable to do research. So is "low voltage cable installer". I think you need to do some more research before jumping to the conclusion that mesh is the answer to your problem.
There are much better options for home networking than WIFI. Right now, there are 33 devices on my home network. Only 8 of them are WIFI. Reserve WIFI for devices that move around like tablets and phones. Anything that is stationary, like TVs, desktops or gaming consoles should be wired.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
The terms "MoCA" and "powerline network" are very searchable to do research. So is "low voltage cable installer". I think you need to do some more research before jumping to the conclusion that mesh is the answer to your problem.
There are much better options for home networking than WIFI. Right now, there are 33 devices on my home network. Only 8 of them are WIFI. Reserve WIFI for devices that move around like tablets and phones. Anything that is stationary, like TVs, desktops or gaming consoles should be wired.
Um,my router is very old and doesn’t even have gigabit ports....

kanewolf

Titan
Um,my router is very old and doesn’t even have gigabit ports....
OK. That may be bad. It will limit you to ISP packages less than 100Mbit. If you live somewhere that can only get 10Mb DSL, then it is much less of an issue. IF you live somewhere that higher speed ISP packages are available, then a new router is worthwhile. Your router may also not support dual band WIFI -- 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. That is a required feature today.
Tell us
Those details will help recommend options.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
OK. That may be bad. It will limit you to ISP packages less than 100Mbit. If you live somewhere that can only get 10Mb DSL, then it is much less of an issue. IF you live somewhere that higher speed ISP packages are available, then a new router is worthwhile. Your router may also not support dual band WIFI -- 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. That is a required feature today.
Tell us
Those details will help recommend options.
  • 150mbps down
  • Netgear N600
  • United States
  • I probably am going to move into a bigger house in the future and probably get a faster plan,yes

kanewolf

Titan
  • 150mbps down
  • Netgear N600
  • United States
If you have 150Mb ISP service, then you definitely need a router with gigabit ethernet ports. That router is at least dual band (good) but is very old.
If you want to stay with Netgear, you could get an R7000 and see what provides. If you really want to try mesh, the Orbi system is well rated.

Solution
Feb 5, 2020
I have a Linksys Velop Tri band mesh system with 3 nodes. It has been great. I like it for several reasons:
  • it was easy to setup
  • the mesh system is not like a range extender. The mesh signal & performace is consistent through my whole house. I had a range extender before and the performance was always better the closer we were to the router.
  • Linksys makes sure their Velop system is backwards compatible. So if I want to upgrade to WiFi 6 down the road, I don’t have to toss all of my existing router stuff.
  • my wife likes the new look because the routers don’t resemble a dead bug