Question Mesh vs Repeater?

oguruma

Prominent
Jul 1, 2022
I'm learning about wireless setups, and I'm having a hard time differentiating between "Mesh" and "Repeaters."

As I understand it, Repeaters talk directly to the "Main" AP, while Mesh Systems can talk to the "Main AP" or they can talk to other systems in the Mesh network. Is that more or less correct?

So if I have a a 2x2 (866 Mbps) WiFi 5 Main AP, and another 2x2 WiFi 5 repeater AP (connected wirelessly) what's my theoretical maximum bandwidth coming from the repeater?

kanewolf

Titan
I'm learning about wireless setups, and I'm having a hard time differentiating between "Mesh" and "Repeaters."

As I understand it, Repeaters talk directly to the "Main" AP, while Mesh Systems can talk to the "Main AP" or they can talk to other systems in the Mesh network. Is that more or less correct?

So if I have a a 2x2 (866 Mbps) WiFi 5 Main AP, and another 2x2 WiFi 5 repeater AP (connected wirelessly) what's my theoretical maximum bandwidth coming from the repeater?
Your having problems because there is no difference in WIFI. The difference is in management. A mesh system can be configured from a single GUI. A repeater will have to be configured separately.