[SOLVED] Mesh Wifi or 2 routers? SOOOO many options

Sep 9, 2019
Looking for some guidance on what to buy....

Mesh network or multiple routers?
Synology mesh?

I currently have Comcast at 150 megabits. The router/modem is in my basement and is hardwired to a Synology NAS and a Security Camera System. I had the router configured for a seperate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz band so I could manually pick the best network.

I don't have reliable 5 ghz network upstairs and the speed suffers. Currently getting close to 30-40 megabits on both bands. I tried only broadcasting one band and let the gateway decide with horrible results.

I think the best bet is to move the modem/router to my upstairs level so the 5g band/network will reach the top floor. Id like to put a second router or a mesh network in the basement so I can still hardwired the NAS and the security camera system to a second router or the mesh.... any thoughts on brands?

I liked the linlksys mesh but reading reviews they charge for the features that are beneficial. I like the synology mesh but the main router doesnt have tri band.... does that matter?

Solution
Mesh is mostly marketing hype to get people to buy more equipment. Pretty much mesh is just a better wifi repeater and in many cases it is really exactly the same old repeaters with a new name. To not suffer the problems of the old repeaters the new ones need a dedicated radio to talk to the main router.

In any case you do not want to be using repeaters unless you have no other options.

Your best option is to have the main router located where it can provide the best coverage and then run a cable to say the basement to run a AP to extend the wifi coverage. You can also use a router to do this and the extra lan ports on a router will allow you to hook up other wired devices.

If you were to put a wifi repeater in the basement...
Mesh is mostly marketing hype to get people to buy more equipment. Pretty much mesh is just a better wifi repeater and in many cases it is really exactly the same old repeaters with a new name. To not suffer the problems of the old repeaters the new ones need a dedicated radio to talk to the main router.

In any case you do not want to be using repeaters unless you have no other options.

Your best option is to have the main router located where it can provide the best coverage and then run a cable to say the basement to run a AP to extend the wifi coverage. You can also use a router to do this and the extra lan ports on a router will allow you to hook up other wired devices.

If you were to put a wifi repeater in the basement with no physical connection to the main router then all you have done in effect is put a wifi card that happens to be connected via ethernet to your NAS. It has all the same issues as if the NAS actually had its own wifi card. The mesh/extender does not magically increase the amount of signal from the main router that gets to the remote room.

So if you can run a ethernet cable I would just use a inexpensive router and use it as a AP. The only features you really care about when using a router as a AP is the wifi options. All the fancy parental controls and firewalls etc can not be used so it is silly to pay extra for them.

Solution
Sep 9, 2019
Thank you for your time in replying!

The Synology mesh are incredibly pricey. Almost $500 for a router and two hubs.

My issue is I can’t efficiently run a wired connection from the basement up to the master bedroom.

If I buy a decent router for the main floor and move the router and modem there. It should hopefully get signal to the master bedroom.

I can they buy a cheaper router or even a dedicated access point for the NAS?

Would you recommend any reasonably priced products? I’ve been looking at $300 linksys routers down to $50 routers. There are so many options.

Thanks again for your time

Sep 9, 2019
There are so many options. I just found someone suggest a wireless dongle for the NAS and Security Camera.

Then move the Router back to the bedroom.

Any thoughts on this?

Best option is run ethernet cable if there is an possibility at all. If the basement is unfinished it is pretty easy to dril up into the bottom of a wall and run cables.

You could also consider powerline units. They make ones with wifi AP in the remote end. So you could leave the router and just use powerline to improve the wifi coverage in your house. Powerline is better than repeaters but there is no free lunch. There are a tiny number of houses they do not work in and like wifi the speed numbers are basically lies. You should not expect to get more than say 150mbps even with the fastest units.

Sep 9, 2019
Thanks. Ended up running an Ethernet cable to the second floor and buying a tri band router. Should come next week. Hopefully that will fix it.
Saved me from
The rental fee at least though