[SOLVED] Meshify C + Macho RevB + 9900K: additional fan ?

hornetmax

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hi all,

my current setup is:
  • 9600K + 2070 Super (Gigabyte Windoforce 3x): no overclock.
  • Termalright Macho Rev.B with 1x140mm fan (pwm from motherboard)
  • Fractal Design Meshify C with 2x140mm front (intake, Corsair AF140) + 1x120 rear (out) + 1x120 top/rear (out) (noth 120mm are stock Fractal fans)
If I upgrade to a 9900K (no intention to overclock or push limits, usage is gaming with occasional video encoding/transcoding):
  1. Should I add a 2nd TY-147A to the Macho ?
  2. If yes, that 2nd fan on the heatsink will be very very close to the rear fan: should I move the rear fan elsewhere ? E.g. to the top of the case so that I'll have 2 top fans, but no real rear fan (just the back heatsink fan pushing toward the rear grille) ?
Thanks in advance !

hornetmax

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
You should be fine with the single fan still. Try it first, then make your decision.

Also, any 140mm fan will suffice, you don't have to perfectly match the fan model # of the pusher.
Thanks, I'll surely try to keep everything as it is today (single fan on the Macho + rear fan on the case).
But if I go with a 2nd fan on the macho (any 140mm), what should I do with the rear case fan ? Move it elsewhere ? Is this a good practice ?

I guess it depends on how much gap there ends up being between the "pull" CPU fan and the rear case fan.

Not sure if you've ever watched videos of case fan airflow spread (using dry ice smoke), but generally the air comes out of fans at roughly a 30 degree angle from every edge. If you go push-pull and remove the rear case fan, some warm air from the CPU cooler may "splash" back into the case.

Since you've got a top exhaust fan, the above comment may not be a big deal.

Keep in mind, if the distance between the rear case fan and the heatsink is small, the rear case fan is somewhat acting as being attached to the heatsink.

hornetmax

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I guess it depends on how much gap there ends up being between the "pull" CPU fan and the rear case fan.
Just measured: zero gap :) I'm not even 100% sure the 2nd fan on the Macho will fit and if it does fit, the fan frames will be touching or almost.

PHFHQd9.jpg

Not sure if you've ever watched videos of case fan airflow spread (using dry ice smoke), but generally the air comes out of fans at roughly a 30 degree angle from every edge. If you go push-pull and remove the rear case fan, some warm air from the CPU cooler may "splash" back into the case.

Since you've got a top exhaust fan, the above comment may not be a big deal.

That shouldn't be a big deal, the rear of the case is amost entirely honeycomb mesh so not a lot of "splash", with ot without the rear case fan.
That's why I was envisaging having no rear case fan :)

YR1hlEx.jpg

Keep in mind, if the distance between the rear case fan and the heatsink is small, the rear case fan is somewhat acting as being attached to the heatsink.
25mm at the moment between the rear case fan and the fins of the Macho.