Messed up dual boot install, help please!

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
I was running Windows 7 64bit on my HP laptop. I also installed Windows XP on another partition. Now when I boot I'm only seeing XP come up. I went to advanced section in "startup and recovery" but it's only showing XP as a choice. XP is the F drive and D drive is all my Windows 7 files. Any suggestions? Have never tried this so obviously I did something wrong. Thanks.

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
Thanks. Let me get back to you next week. I might have three partitions, can't remember as my laptop is at work and I'm not there until next Tuesday.

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
Thanks. It looks like I have three partitions, C which says "System Reserved" D and F. D seems to be all the files for Windows 7 even though it won't dual boot. Any suggestions besides the link you send me?

USAFRet

Titan

From within XP, the System Reserved is seen as the C drive letter, and the Win 7 partition is the D?
That's not terrible, because whichever OS is running doesn't really care what the 'other OS' is in.

However, as indicated above, the XP install completely screwed the previous Win 7 install and boot loader.

Lacking a full drive backup from when only Win 7 existed, I don't think there's a way to "fix" this. Apart from starting over completely, of course. Full wipe and reinstall.

What is the desire for XP in a dualboot? If I absolutely needed XP for something, I'd run that in a VM, rather than a direct boot configuration.

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
I was trying to run software for an old scanner on XP but it didn't work anyway so I'm going to wipe the whole thing and start over. The software is 32 bit and computer is 64 bit. I assume thats why its not working. Thanks all for answers, much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS