[SOLVED] messed up windows by cloning drive

Feb 1, 2019
my pc has a 32gg ssd drive which the OS was on and a 500gg hard drive, i wanted the drive with the OS to have more room so i cloned it to the 500 gg hard drive. now computer doesnt show any drive with a 500 gg capacity (i think its not showing more than one drive) and when i turn it on it says the desktop is not available, it wont let me run programs etc. i would either like to fix it or somehow revert everything back to how it was originally. any ideas?

Solution

Remove the 32GB mSATA, install the 500GB.
Clean install on the 500GB.

Assuming WIn10:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Thats not what cloning does.
All you did was copy the files from the 32GB drive over the 500GB drive, which almost certainly deleted all the files on it as well.
Unless you have a proper backup in place, your option is to reinstall windows on the SSD.
If you want your SSD to have more space, buy a bigger SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

Your "cloning" almost certainly just created a 32GB partition on the 500GB drive. Leaving the rest of it empty.
And from the rest of your description, you didn't do the clone properly.

What system is this, and what specific type of drive is this 32GB? eMMC, mSATA, other?

Feb 1, 2019

thats what i figured the 32 is an msata i believe, i dont mind reinstalling windows as long as it either reinstalls on the 32 or installs normally on the 500. not sure how to do it though

Feb 1, 2019

thats what i figured. its a dell inspiron 7459. the 32 is an msata i believe, i dont mind reinstalling windows as long as it either reinstalls on the 32 or installs normally on the 500. not sure how to do it though

Feb 1, 2019

thank you very much im going to dry to do that. when i reinstall windows can i just copy the product key into the new windows?

USAFRet

Titan

For installation on a new drive in the same system, you should not need the license key.

Feb 1, 2019

thank you very much everything worked out perfectly. i really appreciate all your help

TRENDING THREADS