[SOLVED] Messed with registry, used windows 10 reset pc, now laptop wont start

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hi, I was trying to change the default install location by messing with the registry, but then some programs stopped working. So I used the windows 10 reset pc feature and now windows is failing to install. it just gives me a box saying "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation", but doing that just brings me right back.

I can't attempt any of the troubleshooting options (which it only presents me with every few restart attempts for some reason) because they require signing in to "defaultuser0", which needs a password which I obviously don't have. Attempting to boot into safe mode has the same result. I see no way at all to get past this, any help would be appreciated.

The laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad s130 but i doubt that's relevant

Solution
Yeah I'm realizing that. How would I go about a full wipe from here?
Assuming Win 10, this:

For the future, there is no function of method to make the "default" install location to be other than the C. Registry edits like this ALWAYS end in fail.

If you make that the D, then other, internal OS things, will think they are are on the D, when they are not. Resulting in the fail you see. You can't even get to the tools to fix it.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I'm realizing that. How would I go about a full wipe from here?
Assuming Win 10, this:

For the future, there is no function of method to make the "default" install location to be other than the C. Registry edits like this ALWAYS end in fail.

If you make that the D, then other, internal OS things, will think they are are on the D, when they are not. Resulting in the fail you see. You can't even get to the tools to fix it.

Solution

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...series-netbooks/s130-14igm/solutions/HT116904

I know this says for Windows 8 and 8.1, but there cannot be any harm in attempting method 1 to get to the advanced recovery menu. If it fails or you've already tried this, then see above (@USAFRet)

For future reference, when modifying the registry, ALWAYS File --> Export first.

-Wolf sends
That's the stuff that shows up by itself every few restarts, unfortunately it all requires me to sign in to this "defaultuser0"
Assuming Win 10, this:

Thanks for the advice, will definitely be remembering that. I'm trying the fresh install as suggested but the laptop has no optical drive and my only usb drive is too small, so I've ordered a larger one which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

Thanks very much to both of you for the help, will update if I'm successful, hopefully tomorrow.

USAFRet

Titan
Also for the future....full drive backups.
Seriously.

A full drive Image that was made before you started down this road would have enabled you to simply recover from that.

All my house systems get a full drive backup of every physical drive, every night. Mistakes, failed drive, nasttly virus....all easily recoverable.

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Also for the future....full drive backups.
Seriously.

A full drive Image that was made before you started down this road would have enabled you to simply recover from that.

All my house systems get a full drive backup of every physical drive, every night. Mistakes, failed drive, nasttly virus....all easily recoverable.
Will definitely be backing up before doing anything I don't understand in the future.

So I'm currently trying to install windows 10 from a usb drive, but it says the internal storage doesn't have enough room, I think this is because of the old windows 10 I'm trying to replace. What would you suggest? I cant see a way to remove the old windows from here, the option it gives me while looking at the partitions are refesh, delete, format, new, load driver and extend

USAFRet

Titan
Will definitely be backing up before doing anything I don't understand in the future.

So I'm currently trying to install windows 10 from a usb drive, but it says the internal storage doesn't have enough room, I think this is because of the old windows 10 I'm trying to replace. What would you suggest? I cant see a way to remove the old windows from here, the option it gives me while looking at the partitions are refesh, delete, format, new, load driver and extend
The link above (and here) leads you through a FULL wipe and reinstall.
You delete ALL partitions, leaving one blank space to install to.

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
The link above (and here) leads you through a FULL wipe and reinstall.
You delete ALL partitions, leaving one blank space to install to.

oh I see now, thank you. The steps about product activation did not show up for me so I was confused about the order of the steps.

Right, it seems everything is sorted now, though I'm confused as to how the desktop wallpaper is still set up the same as before. Thank you so much for your help. A quick question before I close the thread, just yes or no will do, is it possible to migrate windows to this usb drive and boot from there from now on? Thanks again, huge help.

USAFRet

Titan
oh I see now, thank you. The steps about product activation did not show up for me so I was confused about the order of the steps.

Right, it seems everything is sorted now, though I'm confused as to how the desktop wallpaper is still set up the same as before. Thank you so much for your help. A quick question before I close the thread, just yes or no will do, is it possible to migrate windows to this usb drive and boot from there from now on? Thanks again, huge help.
It is showing the same desktop, because you're using your Microsoft account. It syncs your preferences and settings across devices and installs.

And NO, you cannot migrate your current OS install to a USB drive and use that.

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
It is showing the same desktop, because you're using your Microsoft account. It syncs your preferences and settings across devices and installs.

And NO, you cannot migrate your current OS install to a USB drive and use that.
Last question, would it be possible with a microsd instead?

USAFRet

Titan
Last question, would it be possible with a microsd instead?
Still no.
A Windows install can't be moved like that.

To another internal drive, no problem (mostly).
To something USB? It is possible to create that from the beginning, with Win2Go, but not simply move your current install so some USB connected drive.

And, it would be slooooow. The overhead of the thousands of read/writes back and forth over the USB bus would bring it to its knees.

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Still no.
A Windows install can't be moved like that.

To another internal drive, no problem (mostly).
To something USB? It is possible to create that from the beginning, with Win2Go, but not simply move your current install so some USB connected drive.

And, it would be slooooow. The overhead of the thousands of read/writes back and forth over the USB bus would bring it to its knees.
Ok I see. My original issue was that the 32 gb of internal storage is barely enough for current windows 10, and the few programs that don't ask where to install and automatically go to internal storage (even with storage settings changed in windows) quickly filled what was left. It seems my best option here is to return the laptop and get one with a usable amount of internal storage.

Thank you very much for all your help you've been a lifesaver.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok I see. My original issue was that the 32 gb of internal storage is barely enough for current windows 10, and the few programs that don't ask where to install and automatically go to internal storage (even with storage settings changed in windows) quickly filled what was left. It seems my best option here is to return the laptop and get one with a usable amount of internal storage.

Thank you very much for all your help you've been a lifesaver.
Yes, a 32GB internal drive (eMMC?) is TooSmall.
I have a dying Asus Transformer like that. Useless, except for a basic web browsing system. Even then.

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Yes, a 32GB internal drive (eMMC?) is TooSmall.
I have a dying Asus Transformer like that. Useless, except for a basic web browsing system. Even then.
Yeah it's eMMC, I had no idea 32GB would be so ineffective, thought windows 10 was a little smaller than that. Looking at getting 64GB now, should be more than enough for it's purpose.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah it's eMMC, I had no idea 32GB would be so ineffective, thought windows 10 was a little smaller than that. Looking at getting 64GB now, should be more than enough for it's purpose.
Even a 64GB is TooSmall.
Trust me, I have one of those as well.

Good for a simple web browsing travel machine, thats it. Seriously.

Its not just windows, but all that other stuff. Cache, temp files, pagefile, the semi annual Windows update, etc, etc...
General recommendation is 250GB or larger. Yes, really.

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Even a 64GB is TooSmall.
Trust me, I have one of those as well.

Good for a simple web browsing travel machine, thats it. Seriously.

Its not just windows, but all that other stuff. Cache, temp files, pagefile, the semi annual Windows update, etc, etc...
General recommendation is 250GB or larger. Yes, really.
Oh really? This laptop is going to be used by a family member for little more than browser games really, a couple of games like plants vs zombies maybe. and everything that can be will be stored on a usb drive or micro sd. The 32GB was surprisingly close to enough for them so I figured 64 would be more than enough for just the essentials. Also that much memory at the size of laptop they want seems difficult/very expensive

USAFRet

Titan
If you/the user knows its limitations, 64GB can sort of work.
The problem comes in when the user wants that One More Game. And then the semi annual Windows 10 update comes in and sucks up a large amount of that space.

My Transformer has basically 2 functions. Small travel device, and interface for the vehicles for the OBDII connection.
That's it.

Wigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
If you/the user knows its limitations, 64GB can sort of work.
The problem comes in when the user wants that One More Game. And then the semi annual Windows 10 update comes in and sucks up a large amount of that space.

My Transformer has basically 2 functions. Small travel device, and interface for the vehicles for the OBDII connection.
That's it.
You've convinced me to go higher on the storage, better for me not to have to babysit the laptop owner. Can't thank you enough, you've been a huge help in more ways than one now. Really thanks!