Messenger 6.2 continually crashes, Please help!

I am running XP Pro with SP2. Messenger 6.2 starts and logs on then a few
seconds later a window pops up with the info 'MSN Messenger has encountered a
problem and needs to close'. When I click to see the error report it states
'AppName: msnmsgr.exe AppVer: 6.2.0.137 ModName: unknown ModVer:
0.0.0.0 Offset: 00ffffff

The program used to run fine until recently. I have uninstalled and
re-installed Messenger 6.2 many times to see if this would solve the problem.
I have also re-installed the Nvidia video driver and ran Registry Mechanic
but without success.

Someone, somewhere must have some ideas. Messenger continues to crash at
every boot up.