[SOLVED] Metal backplate of CPU cooler touching motherboard - Ok or not?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Its clearly how this CPU cooler is designed but I was under the impression metal making contact with the motherboard is a very bad thing. As you can see in the attached pics the backplate which on my other coolers was a plastic material is all black painted metal and while it has plastic washers that keep it from touching the black part of the board, the metal plate makes contact with the silver metal plate on the back of the motherboard.

I assume this is alright? Just want to make sure I am not missing something. Its a cheap cooler, the "Aresgame River 5".

View: https://imgur.com/a/grCKtgX

Solution
Ok, so if it is ONLY the CPU socket bracket that the CPU cooler backplate is making contact with, that SHOULD be fine if everything else seems right as far as being seated correctly on the CPU heat spreader/lid, and no "things" are being touched on the back or front of the motherboard itself.

Some coolers, depending on the socket type, actually DO make contact with the motherboard, but also have rubber cushions to stop actual contact. Others touch the motherboard, but are arranged to be clear of any "things" including traces. If you are still unsure, I'd contact the cooler manufacturer but to me, that looks ok from what I can see.
I always seem to catch your questions, and they are almost always pretty good questions.

So, "touching the motherboard" isn't a problem. Touching "things" on the motherboard, "is".

As long as "things", such as solder points or any "exposed" traces, are not being touched, it should be ok. That being said, I would want to MAKE SURE that the backplate you are using is THE EXACT ONE specified and/or printed ON the backplate, for the specific socket type you are using. OFTEN air coolers come with different backplates for different sockets, but as you say sometimes compatibility isn't always so great. Especially on cheaper coolers or those who come from questionable manufacturing countries. Cough. China. Cough.

That should be outlined on the manufacturers specifications page for the product. Can you get a more "straight on" pic with the backplate at rest against the board? This may mean you need to lay the tower flat so that the backplate will rest against it. Obviously, with no power attached to the system.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
That's good to hear Darkbreeze, you have definitely come to my aid on several occasions I believe so big thanks for that! I seem to have a steady supply of unusual problems and a tendency toward caution...

Everything looks right on the website specs and directions, its for this 1151 socket for sure. Definitely making contact with the metal bracket that holds the CPU but everything else clears if only a bit.
Here are a couple more pics:

View: https://imgur.com/a/8kSQC5S

Ok, so if it is ONLY the CPU socket bracket that the CPU cooler backplate is making contact with, that SHOULD be fine if everything else seems right as far as being seated correctly on the CPU heat spreader/lid, and no "things" are being touched on the back or front of the motherboard itself.

Some coolers, depending on the socket type, actually DO make contact with the motherboard, but also have rubber cushions to stop actual contact. Others touch the motherboard, but are arranged to be clear of any "things" including traces. If you are still unsure, I'd contact the cooler manufacturer but to me, that looks ok from what I can see.

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Thanks for the help! Computer officially did not fry. :D