Metal shavings size of sand grains from stripped screw possibly on laptop PCB - Generally not an issue?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I was in a situation where I was trying to tighten a stripped screw with some tweezers and got some shavings on the PCB. I quickly used compressed air to blow it away, but I didn't double check and am not 100% if some shavings blew somewhere else on the PCB or not.

I don't want to open up my laptop again because it would take a long time.

There were not that many shavings, way less than the surface area of your pinky. If they were still on the PCB are they not an issue?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Any extra metal floating around IS a potential issue.

You need to be SURE there is no more of that in there.
Thanks, I made sure there's nothing there, all good now.
I wanted to make sure the screws on the heatsink and laptop itself are tight though, because two screws went loose on the outside and luckily fell in my bag.

While screwing down my heatsink I might have applied a bit of pressure on it afterward. If the heatsink had time to sit on the paste and settle, would putting extra force 10 minutes after the heatsink is on push the paste in the centre more outward and make it less useful?

Would you personally say that it's better that screws are bit more tight than loose?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Too loose is not good. They will only get looser.
Too tight, and you risk stripping the threads
You mean stripping the screws? I already did that accidently for one but I'm careful for the rest to make sure they never move.

Will applying extra pressure on a freshly seated heat sink spread the paste it's sitting on more unevenly or is it ok?

USAFRet

Titan
You mean stripping the screws? I already did that accidently for one but I'm careful for the rest to make sure they never move.

Will applying extra pressure on a freshly seated heat sink spread the paste it's sitting on more unevenly or is it ok?
If you stripped the threads on one corner, the heatsink may never seat properly.

The deed is done. All you can do is see what the resultant temps will be.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
If you stripped the threads on one corner, the heatsink may never seat properly.

The deed is done. All you can do is see what the resultant temps will be.
Seems to be about the same as before I had issues, so better than no improvement.

I'm still wondering what you mean by "threads" are you referring to the grooves of the screw or the screw head itself? I know I stripped the screw on just ONE of the heatsink screws, but I managed to get it "tight" enough to fit in at least.

USAFRet

Titan
Seems to be about the same as before I had issues, so better than no improvement.

I'm still wondering what you mean by "threads" are you referring to the grooves of the screw or the screw head itself? I know I stripped the screw on just ONE of the heatsink screws, but I managed to get it "tight" enough to fit in at least.
'threads' = either the threads on the screw, or the threads in the hole the screw goes into.
Much more likely the hole is the problem.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
'threads' = either the threads on the screw, or the threads in the hole the screw goes into.
Much more likely the hole is the problem.
Yeah, when it came from the manufacturer that one screw was overtightened so I had no choice but to yank it out, no screwdriver was getting it loose.
If I was missing the screw itself would that not be much of an issue if all the other screws are tightly sealed?
View: https://imgur.com/a/qdex3iv

You can see the one that is stripped on the top left out of the middle 4 screws in the picture.

USAFRet

Titan
So if the threads are likely fine but the head is messed up, this is ok?
If not, do you know where I can find screws online for my heatsink? I can't seem to find any.
As long as it is in there tight, leave it.

To extract a screw with a stripped head:
RhfUaJ6.jpg