News MetalFish Aquarium PC Case Gets Tested, Fish Get Underfloor Heating

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'd also worry about splashing water while cleaning it.

As for heat rising through the aquarium floor, I think they could've minimized that by adding some active cooling between the acrylic ceiling of the PC section and the glass floor of the aquarium. Even so, you still would want to put fish in it that are good with water temps above room temperature.

An interesting concept might be if there were some tropical fish that actually needed warm water, and you ran the PC's water cooling lines through the aquarium section (in heat-exchanger fashion, so there'd be no mixing of the cooling vs. aquarium water). The PC would effectively be a water-heater, although you'd need a thermal probe + some software to throttle the CPU/GPU clocks if the aquarium water got too hot. You'd also need a background mining job (or a backup heater) to kick in, when the water gets too cold. Better yet, this could also serve as a solution to the splash hazard posed by all of the holes in the base - just don't have any holes!

Reactions: King_V

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I really think this kind of thing would be much better for a lizard or snake. A tarantula could work too, or frogs or turtles.

Basically, a terrarium. This is not really a good aquarium.

It would most likely be terribly small, but as I think of it perhaps aquaponics could be part of the mix somehow. Perhaps the computer placed in the greenhouse also has something small growing in it. Just kind of thinking out loud.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I really think this kind of thing would be much better for a lizard or snake. A tarantula could work too, or frogs or turtles.

Basically, a terrarium. This is not really a good aquarium.
Except that a full tank of water would help keep itself cool, by conducting the rising heat out towards its walls and the surface. If you had no water in the glass section, then it would get hotter overall, plus there would be even hotter hot spots.

Reactions: King_V

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
I'd be very nervous about using this for anything living, even plants. Reversed with the PC on top and water on the botton.... ah... but then cleaning it becomes an issue, especially if you live where there's a lot of lime scale. A good gaming session would heat that up. There are 400W hot plates out there.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Having both kept fish and worked on computers this sounds like a "Ask Mr. Lizard" episode of putting nitro and glycerin in a blender and hitting the button. "We need another Timmy!"

Jul 18, 2022
Maybe if you use it for growing plants that won't mind changing temps, this could be kind of neat. I wouldn't want to put water in it though. It might be a fun case for a HTPC.