MetaWorld Harnessing SpatialOS To Build Its Vast Virtual Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't understand why they're so keen on emulating the physical world. Sure, you want certain things to be similar, like Newtonian physics, so that it feels natural and intuitive. But the idea that many people really want to go camping in VR is pretty ridiculous.

Likewise, why should it be constrained to 3D euclidean geometry? At a micro-scale, definitely. However, at a macro scale, the world would grow much better if they allow it to be non-euclidean, to some degree.

I always hated the idea of artificial scarcity that supported the concept of a real-estate market, in Second Life. The whole point of computers and virtual worlds is to supersede the limitations imposed by our physical reality.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's just an app you fire up and play for a while 'till you get bored with it. A lot of its appeal is just down to the novelty of VR. Plus, most of what sucks about jobs is the monotony, stress, and the amount of time and energy they take away from other things.

Anyway, this seems aimed at being a repeat VR destination. It's fine for them, if they want to try it. But, I think successful virtual worlds will eliminate many constraints of the physical world.

Status
Not open for further replies.