Methods for good connection

May 30, 2018
Hey I have my gaming pc on the 1st floor so I'm connected to a wifi repeater with an usb adapter. My router is downstairs directly connected to my dad's pc. My connection is pretty stable usually although my dad uploads a lot of photos to drive so when that happens I have a trash connection. So I was wondering if there's a method for me to have a better connection? Thanks in advance.

Solution
With no QoS all packets at the router are served first in first out. If your connection is 10Mbs when you start to max it a buffer fills up and all packets drop once it's full. When a TCP packet drops it sends an acknowledgement 0 (drop) to the sender to reduce throughput. TCP throughput is always continually increased until a packet drop. This is how downloads always go up to near max speed and the sender isn't over sending packets. FIFO is considered fair across the web. Anytime your WAN has anything in the buffer you get increased latency, ie bufferbloat. Gaming needs down and up so you can't have either full. TCP uses both down and up, which means downloads can fill your upload buffer. ISP size your upload to prevent this. It's not...
It depends where the problem is. If he is also using wireless and uploading to a local NAS or similar drive then your best option would be for you not use wireless to avoid the traffic. There is almost no control of wifi especially traffic going from the end device to the router.

If he is uploading to something on the internet then your problem is much more likely he is using all the bandwidth you pay for. This type of issue quickly gets into a question of whose traffic is more important. The person that pays the internet bill generally has final say. There are QoS option on some routers but this is just a electronic enforcement of some agreement on traffic usage. Many times the applications can limit how fast they send the traffic and it generally works better to put the limit on the machine overloading the network than on the router even if the router has QoS.

May 30, 2018

Hey sorry for the late response. As you mentioned the application can indeed limit the bandwitdth although how much should he put the application's bandwidth to in order for me to play online in the same time. Also could you please explain more about QoS, I don't really understand how it functions. Does it mean that with QoS, I can prioritize my computer but in the same he would still be able to upload his photos without overloading the whole network?

With no QoS all packets at the router are served first in first out. If your connection is 10Mbs when you start to max it a buffer fills up and all packets drop once it's full. When a TCP packet drops it sends an acknowledgement 0 (drop) to the sender to reduce throughput. TCP throughput is always continually increased until a packet drop. This is how downloads always go up to near max speed and the sender isn't over sending packets. FIFO is considered fair across the web. Anytime your WAN has anything in the buffer you get increased latency, ie bufferbloat. Gaming needs down and up so you can't have either full. TCP uses both down and up, which means downloads can fill your upload buffer. ISP size your upload to prevent this. It's not really sized for uploading media to the web.

With queue based QoS packets go through an algo which can be setup to treat things differently.
three main things are managed. The order things are serviced, how much they are serviced, and managing how to drop packets in the buffer. Queue based is bandwidth conserving, meaning you can fully utilize your connection.

Limiters are also QoS and it only limits how much service a pipe gets. The same way the ISP limits you. Limiters are not traffic conserving.

fq_codel is the only algo that has shown much promise in a traffic conserving QoS to beat bufferbloat on UDP.
It services every open connection round robin and uses an algo to build weights to pick where to drop packets from when it's filled. Gaming UDP would have a very low weight. I believe it also groups bitorrent into one connection so it doesn't swamp you in a round robin.

I've played with a small UDP limiter and the rest for everything else, but I wasn't highly successful.
Where I live there is only one isp with one speed of 3Mbs. If you can afford higher speeds or there is a better offer from another isp go for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF46PNid1Mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-g2P3R84dw
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/RRUL_Rogues_Gallery/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS