Question Metro Exodus stuttering after playing for a while

Apr 24, 2020
Hello :)
I bought Metro Exodus.. I was playing it like for 20 minutes and after that hard stuttering appears. It happened even in The Division 2 or CoD Warzone but after after like 3 hours.

When i am looking at one direction everythig is fine, everything is smooth. But when i move with my mouse my game freeze for like 1 second or when i move forward. I tried to turn off everything, V-sync i also switched to DX 11. Nothing helped.

Metro is instalated on HDD and my PC is:

Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2070 Ventus
16 GB RAM 3200 Mhz G.SKILL
1TB HDD

Everything have OK temperatures.

In some games is no stutter like - GTA V, CS:GO, Shadow of war or so.

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
That's odd. When I built my pc I was having this problem with stutters and I fixed that using the ISLC (Intelligent Standby List Cleaner), developed by Wagnardsoft (the same developer of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)). I would recommend that but you said you have no stutters playing GTA V, CS:GO and Shadow of War...

Are you playing with the Ray Tracing options on? I also own an RTX 2070 and I have considerable frame drops when the Ray Tracing is on, which is a shame.

Apr 24, 2020
That's odd. When I built my pc I was having this problem with stutters and I fixed that using the ISLC (Intelligent Standby List Cleaner), developed by Wagnardsoft (the same developer of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)). I would recommend that but you said you have no stutters playing GTA V, CS:GO and Shadow of War...

Are you playing with the Ray Tracing options on? I also own an RTX 2070 and I have considerable frame drops when the Ray Tracing is on, which is a shame.

Yea there is no stutter in some games. And i am assuming that it have to be HDD because its not the fastest one if you know what i mean :D I tried to play it with Ray Tracing and also withnout Ray Tracing. There was the same problem.

Make sure you're using the latest Nvidia drivers and have DLSS enabled. They fixed it recently and it now boosts FPS quite a bit with RTX on.

I also recommend removing old drivers in safe mode with DDU, then install the new one on desktop.

I had DLSS enabled but when i was looking in to the fire or at the light. It was so pixelated and somewhere i read that it could be because of slow HDD.

But anyways i am going to buy M.2 SSD and i will install Metro Exodus right on it.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Yea there is no stutter in some games. And i am assuming that it have to be HDD because its not the fastest one if you know what i mean :D I tried to play it with Ray Tracing and also withnout Ray Tracing. There was the same problem.

I had DLSS enabled but when i was looking in to the fire or at the light. It was so pixelated and somewhere i read that it could be because of slow HDD.

But anyways i am going to buy M.2 SSD and i will install Metro Exodus right on it.

I have Metro Exodus installed on a 7200 RPM HDD and the game is running perfectly without stutters. I hope that fix your problem but I think you would be having stutters in every other game if it was the HDD's fault. Especially with open world games like GTA V.
Try the ISLC and see if that solves this issue.

Apr 24, 2020
I downloaded that ISLC and everything was smooth. But sometimes it lagged when i killed someone or when i load saved game. One time it started lagging as hell but when i loaded the save everything was fine. I have everything at default in ISLC

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
This is quite odd. Warzone is running perfectly here and it's installed in the HDD. I've tested on the m.2 nvme SSD and the diference was close to none.
My pc is a bit similar to yours

Ryzen 7 2700x (all cores set to 4.1 Ghz)
Asus ROG B450 F Gaming
2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3000 Mhz
MSi ARMOR RTX 2070 8G
1 SanDisk 240 gb SSD
1 M.2 Nvme Adata XPG Spectrix S40G 500 gb SSD
1 SeaGate 1 tb 7200 RPM HDD

Both Metro Exodus and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare are installed in the HDD.
The only game I have installed in the m.2 SSD is Red Dead Redemption 2.

And I'm using ISLC to avoid those annoying stutters and for me it worked.

May 14, 2020
I see this is old but searched metro exodus to help someone, I had this exact problem and many others, my fix was running it in windows 8 compatibility as admin, right click exe file and you will find compatibility settings somewhere under propities, it worked for me I hope it works for you, it’s a great game