Metro Firefox for Windows 8 Postponed to Late January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Unfortunate, and could well be a sign of a potential indefinite hold depending on whether RT actually catches on a bit in the future. I like Explorer fine for Metro, but having another browser option would be quite nice.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
"Mozilla is blaming slow progress as the reason for the delay."
And here I was thinking polar bears riding dragons were the reason of delay.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Well considering windows rt is not much of a success and its pretty stupid to use a metro browser on a laptop or desktop I think it should not have priority.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Don't see the point in this. I'm using Firefox on Windows 8 just fine, nobody needs Firefox Metro [TM]. Firefox devs need to focus full effort into making Firefox multiprocess. They've made some progress, but there's still a long way to go.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Well, simply put, for touch the Metro interface tends to be far better, and there are millions of touch enabled Windows 8/RT devices out there. On the go, Metro OS's make a lot of sense. Though it's only a small fraction of the market, and obviously it shouldn't take top priority, having SOME non-IE browser in Metro would be a good thing for a not insignificant number of users.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Qlum, RT may not be a success, but 5 times as many have sold as Chromebooks in less than half the time, but I don't see people dissing Google or it's stable of software - Windows 8 is not going to go away and not having a product is commercial suicide, they need to hurry the hell up before they become more irrelevant than they already are

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

Chrome OS is pretty terribad. Google really needs to step it up and make a real flavor of linux. The thing is, Chome OS matters so little that no one even bothers dissing it.

FF devs should worry about fixing outstanding bugs before trying to add new features. There's a problem when your bug reports can sit untouched for years until some dev decides to bother fixing the issue.

g-unit1111

Titan

I just got a Surface RT and it's a great device. But it would be absolutely spectacular and outsell iPad and Android devices 2:1 had Microsoft not made the cardinal mistake of locking the operating system and limiting it exclusively to ARM development. If the Surface could run x86 apps, you'd see people in Times Square camping out to get their hands on the latest RT devices.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

A Surface tablet that runs x86 applications? You mean like the Surface Pro?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'd love to get this on my Surface Pro. I have the desktop Firefox browser running there and to be honest, the experience with IE is far better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS