MHZ lowers with high heat.

terryflores713

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
I'm looking into overclocking with my MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card, and during the stress test, I noticed that when the temperature reached 183f, the MHZ would decrease down to anything lower then what i set the MHz to be. so i was wondering if anyone could properly explain to me what to do for overclocking and maybe what could be done. I'm using MSI afterburner and Kombustor.

Aug 28, 2018
That sounds like exactly what the card should be doing. Can't actually remember if this is true for Radeon cards but NGreedia cards rely on a boost algorithm and any overclocking on top of that comes in the form of an offset, not an absolute frequency. The boost algorithm is temperature dependant, so higher temperatures lower the boost target, meaning that the boost target + your specified offset hits a lower frequency than what you saw at lower temperatures. Direct airflow towards the GPU could solve the problem by lowering temperatures.

terryflores713

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Alright, i managed to make it to where it didn't drop during the Metro benchmark test at 1425MHz but to my surprised the results were actually worse compared to the standard 1366. is there something im doing wrong possibly? also could i get a proper explaination for what the memory does. if i should even increase the memory speed of my GPU. thank you.