Mic choice for drum kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm used to tracking 2 or 3 acoustic string instruments at a time in
my modest basement project studio. I'm working on a boutique project
where the client is contemplating using a very small drum kit
(snare/cymbol/high hat/kick).

My first challenge will be to figure out if I have any mics in my kit
that are up to the task:

AT 4050
AKG 414B/ULS
Rode NT2
Shure SM81
Shure SM57
Shure SM58

Anyone care to make recomendations/assignments? Do I have a snowballs
chance? Should I be concerned about something that I'm not even aware
of? The room will be my next challenge.

Thanks in advance

HowardP

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hlpdobro@intr.net (HowardP) wrote in message news:<41178f07.391513156@news1.news.adelphia.net>...
> I'm used to tracking 2 or 3 acoustic string instruments at a time in
> my modest basement project studio. I'm working on a boutique project
> where the client is contemplating using a very small drum kit
> (snare/cymbol/high hat/kick).
>
> My first challenge will be to figure out if I have any mics in my kit
> that are up to the task:
>
> AT 4050
> AKG 414B/ULS
> Rode NT2
> Shure SM81
> Shure SM57
> Shure SM58
>
> Anyone care to make recomendations/assignments? Do I have a snowballs
> chance? Should I be concerned about something that I'm not even aware
> of? The room will be my next challenge.

I think you're in good shape.

Kick - I'd say this is your weakest area right now, but the 4050, 414,
NT2 might work. You may want to see if you can borrow or rent a good
dynamic for the kick - 412, Re20, ATM 25, Audix D6, etc. Search r.a.p.
threads for more info.

Snare - 57 probably, 4050 or 414 maybe (If the hi-hat is close,
bidirectional mode - point side of mic at HH to reject it.)

Hi Hat - probably SM81 with lo-cut engaged, and probably -10dB pad,
too.

Cymbal - (ride or crah or ?) - probably 4050 or maybe 414 or SM81.

These are starting points only. As they say, do what sounds best.

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

It depends on what sort of sound you're after, but to be completely
simple, I'd say that single 4050 might be positioned to get it all and
get a decent mix of everything. In front, overhead, etc...try a few
locations out. If that one doesn't suit your fancy, maybe the 414
will do the trick as well. If you decide you need a close mic or two,
then maybe something on the kick and snare should be all. I don't
believe I saw a 57 on your list, but really, try out whatever dynamic
you might have on the snare top. You're just looking to get more
attack, since your overhead mic will be getting the kit as a whole.
Also, if you need more on your kick, you can use a dynamic inside, if
there's a hole or no front head, but you can also use whichever large
dynamic you don't use overhead for this. A few feet out front of the
kick is nice.
This would be a starting point with the limited info we have.
later,

-==>Thanks for the follow up folks. I'll act on your suggestions.

HowardP