Question Mic/headphone audio crackling, computer freezes

Sep 11, 2020
Hello.

I'm sorry to come here right away to ask for help, but I've been struggling for some time.

When the CPU is under load I start to hear strange crackles in the headphones but also on the voice communicators people say that I sound like a robot, I interrupt, I crackle. When I turn on LatencyMon, after a while I have a red sign saying that my system has problems described on the screenshot. As soon as I turn on the program, I read very high amounts of hard pagefult of tens of thousands.

I will say in advance that I have the microphone connected to the audio interface and the headphones separately to the DAC. Both devices are powered by USB. The computer also has a strange tendency to random freezes of even ten seconds, but quite rarely.

I don't know what that could be anymore. I replaced the power supply with a decent one, hoping it might have caused the symptoms mentioned, but no. I present a screenshot with LatencyMon and I provide my computer configuration. I will be happy to run the next required tests to diagnose the problem and ask for help.

CPU: i5-7600k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-Gaming K3
RAM: Kingston Predator, DDR4, 8 GB, 3000MHz, CL15 x2
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
SSD system: Crucial P1 1TB (relatively new)
Second SSD: Old Intel 120GB for other things

I'll add that I've tried such things as:
  • Disabling sharing of Windows updates
  • Switching off Fast Boot
  • Power Throttling off
  • Change Power settings to High performance wherever possible,
  • Disabling hibernation mode
  • Latest video drivers, latest BIOS
  • Latest SSD system drive software
I can also post a sound sample of the Steam notification I recorded through Audacity. This indicates an error not in the headphones, but in the system. Thanks in advance.

latency-mon.png

Steam notification sound recorded on PC: https://forumfiles.com/5aS9n3Ucod/sad_steam_wav_wav

Edit: I just want to add that I tested headphones, microphone, audio interface and DAC that I use on highend laptop and everything works fine there. :(

Edit2: I ran full MemTest86, it lasted 3+ hours, 0 errors.

Last edited:

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
What PSU have you now got?

Are your Audio drivers working ok and up to date in Device Manager?
Are your USB drivers working ok and up to date in Device Manager?

Is your Windows 10 up to date?

Is your PC running hot?

Have you done disk checks on your drives? (Windows Explorer, right click on driver, properties/tools/check)