Feb 17, 2021
System information:
  • Mobo Asrock z490 Phantom Gaming 4
  • OS Windows
  • Case Inter-Tech T-11 TELEVEN
  • MIC Standard TRRS male input

Extra Info that might help:
  • New mic works on other devices.
  • Old mic that worked was a TRS male input.
  • I suspect the female plug may be TRS, not sure.

I've updated and removed the RealTech drivers more times then I care to mention, the microphone appears in the drivers and the devices but setting it to the default device doesn't do anything and I can not do anything to register any sound with the mic.
Could it be that I've plugged a TRRS male into a TRS female and the short is causing no audio but it is still able to register as a device??

Thanks in advance

Solution
A TRRS male jack is supposed to make three circuits with a proper socket. I expect at least the tip and the Sleeve will make valid connections, but the two sleeves - I don't know how they go wrong, but they do. So at least ONE circuit is complete. If that happens to be the one the system uses to detect the presence of a device, that part works. Does NOT guarantee that ALL aspects of the unit are working properly.

Now, if this is just a Mic, MAYBE it is wired the same as a stereo output / mono Mic unit, but with only the Mic actually there and connected. Or MAYBE this has unusual connections for, say, a stereo Mic. You need to know a little about this device. I guess you do know that plugged into a real 4-contact female socket, it...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have spotted the likely cause. There are two common 3.5mm jack / socket systems today. One has THREE contacts: Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. On a typical audio OUTput arrangement, these are used for Left and Right stereo channels (tip and ring, not sure which channel to which), and the Sleeve is a common Ground. For mic INPUTS, a similar arrangement is used.

But the system with FOUR contacts - Tip, Ring1, Ring2, and Sleeve is used for two stereo output channels, ONE mono microphone input line, and common Ground. If you try to plug a male of this into a female socket of the 3-contact type, you get all wrong connections and it does not work. Almost all standard female sockets on a computer are done in the THREE-contact style, so your case will have separate jacks for audio out and Mic in. To use a headset with a FOUR_contact male plug you need an adapter that separates out the Mic signal and gives you TWO male jacks to go into the two sockets on your case., like this

https://www.amazon.com/KINGTOP-Spli...dset+adapter+4-contact&qid=1617815301&sr=8-13

Note that it specifies that its FEMALE socket is the TRRS 4-contact style, and its TWO male outputs are each 3-contact TRS connectors. One output is identified for the earphones, and the other marked for the mic.

Feb 17, 2021
You have spotted the likely cause. There are two common 3.5mm jack / socket systems today. One has THREE contacts: Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. On a typical audio OUTput arrangement, these are used for Left and Right stereo channels (tip and ring, not sure which channel to which), and the Sleeve is a common Ground. For mic INPUTS, a similar arrangement is used.

But the system with FOUR contacts - Tip, Ring1, Ring2, and Sleeve is used for two stereo output channels, ONE mono microphone input line, and common Ground. If you try to plug a male of this into a female socket of the 3-contact type, you get all wrong connections and it does not work. Almost all standard female sockets on a computer are done in the THREE-contact style, so your case will have separate jacks for audio out and Mic in. To use a headset with a FOUR_contact male plug you need an adapter that separates out the Mic signal and gives you TWO male jacks to go into the two sockets on your case., like this

https://www.amazon.com/KINGTOP-Spli...dset+adapter+4-contact&qid=1617815301&sr=8-13

Note that it specifies that its FEMALE socket is the TRRS 4-contact style, and its TWO male outputs are each 3-contact TRS connectors. One output is identified for the earphones, and the other marked for the mic.

Thanks for the answer!
The problem is it is not a headphone+mic situation it is just a mic. Same situation then?
I understood that the connection between ring2 and the ground would cause a short and therefore it wouldn't work but I was just curious as to why it even showed up under the drivers.

I thought it would go like: TRRS in TRS = short and not even displayed on the computer
What actually happened was TRRS in TRS = no audio registering in mic, but device showing up on the PC. (Becasue of short?)

Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your help!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A TRRS male jack is supposed to make three circuits with a proper socket. I expect at least the tip and the Sleeve will make valid connections, but the two sleeves - I don't know how they go wrong, but they do. So at least ONE circuit is complete. If that happens to be the one the system uses to detect the presence of a device, that part works. Does NOT guarantee that ALL aspects of the unit are working properly.

Now, if this is just a Mic, MAYBE it is wired the same as a stereo output / mono Mic unit, but with only the Mic actually there and connected. Or MAYBE this has unusual connections for, say, a stereo Mic. You need to know a little about this device. I guess you do know that plugged into a real 4-contact female socket, it works. Do you have ANY idea whether that Mic is monaural or stereo?

Solution
Feb 17, 2021
Sadly it's a cheap-o mic from China, just needed something to play with friends online.
The most I could tell you is that it is this make and model:

Now I know it says it's a microphone for phones and the like BUT further down on the page it was listed as useable for PC's, so I took the chance :p
But yeah on the packaging there was nothing listed about monoaural/stereo.
I'm inclined to say that it was the simpler of the two considering it was initially designed for phones?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm sure you are right - this is a simple mono Mic. But there's a clue in that description. It emphasizes that this is suitable for several Apple products. They tend to use the 4-contact TRRS connectors for everything to keep all their products similar so many accessories can be used with all of their devices. So it is normal that they would use this connector type even for such a simple mono Mic.

HOWEVER, that raises another thought. SOME of those systems that Apple uses apparently use the four contacts in those connector differently from the way others do. So, when you go looking for an adapter that splits out the earphones and Mic into separate 3-contact males, look closely for a statement that this one DOES work with Apple systems.

Thanks for Best Solution.

Reactions: Biggest_Cheeser
Feb 17, 2021
I'm sure you are right - this is a simple mono Mic. But there's a clue in that description. It emphasizes that this is suitable for several Apple products. They tend to use the 4-contact TRRS connectors for everything to keep all their products similar so many accessories can be used with all of their devices. So it is normal that they would use this connector type even for such a simple mono Mic.

HOWEVER, that raises another thought. SOME of those systems that Apple uses apparently use the four contacts in those connector differently from the way others do. So, when you go looking for an adapter that splits out the earphones and Mic into separate 3-contact males, look closely for a statement that this one DOES work with Apple systems.

Thanks for Best Solution.

Hey paperdoc, not sure you're going to see this.
Just really wanted to emphasise how grateful I am for all your help!! I had to work over the weekend so didn't quite get the chance to read your reply until now.
So yeah, thanks again for everything! :D