Question Mic picking up audio even when it's muted

XenonJMC

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Hey!

So I am using the HyperX Cloud Stinger headset and I noticed that my mic seems to pick up audio even when the mic itself is muted or when the volume is set to 0 (from the volume slider on the headset not from the Windows volume slider).

I am using an external sound card, ASUS Xonar U3 but sadly it doesn't have anything for Echo Cancellation in it's software.

I've tried everything, from making sure that Stereo Mix is disabled and making sure that "Listen to this device" is disabled in Windows's sound settings.

Any idea of how I could fix this? I am using Windows 10.

EDIT: I am using a splitter is this info if any useful.

EDIT 2: The mic only picks up audio from the speakers when it's muted, not my voice or any other sounds.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Has the headset always picked up audio as you describe or did it just start doing that?

How is the headset connected with respect to the external sound card, splitter, and PC?

Have you tried the headset on another known working computer?

Have you tried another known working headset on your computer?

Determine if the problem follows the headset or stays with the computer.

You may need to follow a similar troubleshooting process with respect both the splitter and the external sound card.

Need to narrow down the possible culprit....

XenonJMC

Reputable
May 30, 2019
It still picks up audio on the on-board sound card, it's just very faint.

I don't really know what you mean by that, I connect the headset to the splitter and the splitter to the sound card.

No I haven't, I will try it tomorrow on a laptop with the same sound card.

I used another headset in the past, it would still pick up audio from the speakers, I haven't used it on this sound card however, and i couldn't mute it, thing is that this headset picks up audio from the speakers when muted and it only picks up the speaker audio, nothing else, which is really bizzare.

jbowler13

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I'm having the same issue. We own 7 of these at our arcade. we've tried every single fix on google. I've narrowed it down to the splitters that are used. if you open voice recorder and record say a youtube video playing it will pick up sounds even if you unplug the headset from the splitter. but if you unplug the headphone side of the splitter the sounds will stop recording. problem is I don't know how to fix it we've already tried a different splitter and get the same results. seems like the splitter is sharing something and sendng feedback through
msi z 270
intel 7700k
32 gigs ram
1070ti
tried using front and rear jacks