Question Mic picking up sounds from computer but not my voice.

Tadecker

Prominent
May 25, 2019
A month or two ago, I was talking with my friend using my mic. Everything was working normally. A few weeks later, I try to talk with with that same friend using the same mic I had used a month ago. For whatever reason, the mic wasn't picking up my voice whatsoever. Instead, it would pick up the sounds from my computer.
For example: If I had my headset on and was in a voice call with you, you wouldn't hear me talking. If a notification goes off on my side, the mic would register that instead of my voice. I wrote it off as the headset being broken until I got a brand new headset two days ago, and the same thing started happening. I've done everything I could think of for the past two days.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.

I've tried updating my motherboard.

I've tried plugging the headset into the back of the computer.

I've made sure the mic isn't muted, and I know for a fact it's plugged in correctly.

Stereo Mix is disabled.

The headset mic is the default device.

Microphone Privacy is fine.

This is getting really frustrating, and I would be incredibly grateful to anyone who responds as soon as they can.

Tadecker

Prominent
May 25, 2019
Right, that would probably be helpful. Sorry if I don't provide a lot of needed information. I'm somewhat new to this stuff.

My motherboard is an ASRock H310M-ITX/ac
I have a Intel Pentium Gold G5400 Processor
GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 7800

I should mention also that this is a custom made PC. I didn't buy it from the store.

Does Windows show an issue with your sound device; a red x over the speaker icon lower right corner? If so try running the trouble shooter. Another thing to try is to see if Windows is using the wrong icon for your headphone.
Right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom-right part of the screen and choose Sounds. Move to Recording tab, this will A list of recording devices will appear. Try speaking into your microphone, and see if there any green bars rising next to one of them while you talk. right click on it and select default device.

Tadecker

Prominent
May 25, 2019
(Sorry about the late response! Been a bit busy)

There is no red x over the speaker. I did the second thing you told me to do, and the icon that windows is using is a microphone icon. The green bars next to it did not rise when I spoke, but they did rise when a computer notification went off, which was to be expected

Tadecker

Prominent
May 25, 2019
My monitor does not have a webcam built into it, nor do I have a webcam at all. I don’t believe that I have a mic built into the monitor, but I can check when I get the chance.

Is there any sort of common things that may result in the same problem or a similar one?

Also keep in mind a speaker can pick up sounds like a microphone, so you should check if there you have any speakers that are not available. Also check Sounds> Recording tab.

I also see your MB has a chassis speaker; if this was attached to a speaker, unplug it and see if the noise continues. Also you MB has a plug for a Front Panel Audio Header, have you installed such a header in your chassis that is plugged into your MB? While this may not stop the audio issues from the standard plugs, using the HD Audio header headset connector may work without the problems with the standard plug..

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS