Mic Works During Playback, Does not work elsewhere.

Vorzo

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
My mic is not working after the latest Windows Update. But when I click "listen to this device" in the options I hear myself talking and the green bar lights up, but I'm still not heard when using programs such as Discord.

FYI: I tested the mic on my phone, it works perfectly.
I've also updated my drivers, I'm suspecting it might be my motherboard or Windows itself.

Solution
BINGO!

Just got off a live chat with HyperX and we both have overlooked something I guess.

Go ahead and search 'Microphone Privacy Settings' and turn on 'Let apps use my micorphone' see if this helps. Fixed under the new version 1803.

Ralston18

Titan
Which Windows update?

Have you tried the built-in Windows troubleshooters? They may find and fix something.

Right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right screen corner. Work your way through the various menu choices, windows, tabs, and properties settings. Look for some low setting or unchecked option box.

No need to make any immediate changes. Explore first and go down through all of the available configuration screens. Note possible problems and where your found them.

Then go back and try some changes but only make one change at a time. You may need to undo the change so do keep notes of what you changed and where you changed it.

May 14, 2018
Bumping this. Bumping this. Bumping this.

Same issue here, I believe Vorzo is referring to the Windows Update: Feature to Windows 10, version 1803. (installed 5/9/18 for me)

I'm curious what product you have Vorzo as I am using the HyperX Cloud Flight Gaming Headset. My mobo is the Asrock z270 Extreme 4). I'm not entirely sure when it stopped working since it's been about a week since I've last tried to use my mic (It was working perfectly fine then, headset is only a month old). So I assume it was the Windows Update as well.

Troubleshooting steps I've done:

• Reinstalled Sound Driver for the headset which is found under 'Audio inputs and outputs' as well as 'Sound, video and game controllers'
    Re-checked sound settings about 15 times now, correct default audio and recording devices selected, mute is not enabled under properties of recording device in the 'Levels tab. Levels is bumped to 100 for max volume.
    Mute is also not present when right clicking the sound icon at the bottom right.
    Green bar feedback does not occur, UNLESS, playback is enabled. Even then, when this is enabled, no other application has been able to pickup the mic. (tested with discord, skype, onlinemictest)
As for trying to Configure my default mic, when clicking either, 'Start Speech Recognition' or 'Set up Microphone.' Both generate the same error message: "The Wizard could not start; Make sure you adio hardware is working properly and check your audio configuration in the Audio Devices and Sound Themes control panel."

At this point i'm determining its either some bug with the new Windows Update or the HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless Headset driver is bad right now.

Sad thing is, I've been looking into people having similar issues, this is the first post I've seen that I can relate to that's recent.

My next steps are probably to call HyperX, then microsoft... or wait for someone else to help me :/

Vorzo

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Windows troubleshooter didn't really help. I've tried digging through all my mic settings, none of them helped. I've also reinstalled my drivers several times. I recently fixed my cable management though, but I still suspect the Windows Update is the problem.

Vorzo

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Hmm, my microphone also stopped working after that Windows Update. As for my headset, I'm using the HyperX Cloud Core, my motherboard is the ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty Gaming K4.

It seems we have the exact same problem too. I'm not quite sure if its the motherboard or what.
I'm deciding whether or not I should just revert back to the previous version.

May 14, 2018

Well well well... our products differ but the brands are the same. Interesting.

I went ahead and did revert back a windows version and even then I'm having no luck now. I'm going to call HyperX tomorrow. So frustrating hearing myself perfectly fine with playback, then not having luck elsewhere.

Vorzo

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

If its not the Windows Update, I wonder what the problem might be then. Motherboard? Headphones?
By any chance, do you run a pirated version of Windows?

May 14, 2018

Nope, just Windows 10 Home 64bit

Vorzo

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Hmm, I just reverted Windows back to version 1709 and my microphone suddenly works now, strongly suggesting that my os version was the problem. See if doing this may help you too.

May 14, 2018
BINGO!

Just got off a live chat with HyperX and we both have overlooked something I guess.

Go ahead and search 'Microphone Privacy Settings' and turn on 'Let apps use my micorphone' see if this helps. Fixed under the new version 1803.

Solution

Vorzo

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Well there we go, thanks for helping! :))