Mice Malfuction

rakasan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
So before I explain the problem, I'll start with the background information. I recently restored an HP dv9700 laptop that is running windows vista. Now that laptop was using a wireless mouse by logitech. Upon restoration that mouse stopped working (I unplugged mouse> replugged into usb hub, unplugged mouse > replugged directly into laptop) and whenever I try to plug it into any usb slot there is no new hardware being installed that I usually get.

So after this I take the mouse from my Dell E6410 running windows 7 basic, a wired logitech mouse, and plug it into the HP laptop. The mouse works, after posting on another forums on why the mouse didn't work I was asked to run windows update ( I would of ran it anyways ) so I could get up to date. After the HP laptop restarted the wired mouse stopped working... I then took that wired mouse back to my Dell laptop > plugged it in > ...and it doesn't work here either...

Luckily I can use the touchpad, I have a third computer but I don't want to plug in either devices to ruin it, as its a desktop and if the mice fail then there is no touchpad. So now I have no idea how to fix this problem with mice that aren't broken (at least I don't think so). If anyone could shed some light it was be appreciated as I need this mouse to do some school work so this actually turned into a serious matter.

Did you check the laptops device manager for errors? Get the drivers for it from HP or just the MS Updates? Was the motherboard replaced on the system? You could have a voltage issue on the USB ports, may explain the frying of the mice.

If you are brave with your money, try a USB flash drive (maybe buy a cheapo 512mb one for a few dollars), see if that works in the laptop.

rakasan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
The mouse doesn't work on my Dell laptop now when it was working literally 10 minutes ago after I did MS updates from the HP Laptop. Yes I checked device manager for errors no exclamation mark because its not even listed. I downloaded 1 from HP but I cannot recall which one the other 80 updates were from MS Update including the optional one that was symaptics I believe for the touchpad. No motherboard replace on either laptops. That usb flash drive was a good suggestion, I plugged a usb flash drive into both laptops on at least 2 usb slots and they were detected on my Dell because I used it before and installed onto my HP.

I was not thinking the mouse driver to look for, but any issues with the USB ports. But the flash drive test pretty much took that out of the equation. If the flash drive works, your USB is functioning. Unfortunately I can't think of anything else to try aside from maybe giving a 3rd mouse a shot :)