[SOLVED] Micro ATX board for htpc, with lga 1151 support please

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Hi Thanks for reading.
I am wanting to purchase a new micro atx motherboard for building a home theatre pc. I have a 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor and would like a mobo which accepts this. Also a reliable board. My last mobo died and took the hard drive with it and I lost 8 TB of data, still smarting over that.
Also do you know of there is any advantage to purchasing a gaming board, they seem to use more power and have higher specs, but does it have any meaning for improving htpc. I heard asus mobos are good so am leaning towards them but will welcome any mobo recommendations. I have an asus stxII soundcard to reproduce the audio, and for the picture i am hoping to use the mobo's built in solution, do you know of any mobos with a good graphics adaptor.
So I need: 1. micro atx motherboard 2. 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor support 3. High reliability 4. Good graphics adaptor 5. Budget is £200
Many thanks.

Solution
mATX/mITX, LGA 1151, DDR4 shopping:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007627 600567584 600009017 600009028 4814 601361694 600540657 600567794 50001312 50001944 50001315&Order=3

I have an asus stxII soundcard to reproduce the audio,

and for the picture i am hoping to use the mobo's built in solution, do you know of any mobos with a good graphics adaptor.
unless doing studio quality work with a very high-quality soundcard you won't notice any difference between this and modern built-in audio processors on a quality motherboard.
unless you're going to need it for certain connections your rear I\O doesn't offer
i would just remove it from the system.

the onboard graphics processor(iGPU) depends on your model CPU, not the...
mATX/mITX, LGA 1151, DDR4 shopping:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007627 600567584 600009017 600009028 4814 601361694 600540657 600567794 50001312 50001944 50001315&Order=3

I have an asus stxII soundcard to reproduce the audio,

and for the picture i am hoping to use the mobo's built in solution, do you know of any mobos with a good graphics adaptor.
unless doing studio quality work with a very high-quality soundcard you won't notice any difference between this and modern built-in audio processors on a quality motherboard.
unless you're going to need it for certain connections your rear I\O doesn't offer
i would just remove it from the system.

the onboard graphics processor(iGPU) depends on your model CPU, not the motherboard.

Solution

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Is a good graphics card necessary as i take hdmi out to an external screen, so is it the screen that determines picture quality, the way the screen processes the hdmi signals?

Is a good graphics card necessary
all depends on what you're using it for.
if just browsing or doing regular educational or work tasks the iGPU should be fine.
if you get into gaming, video processing, or anything that will benefit from a dedicated GPU then you may want to upgrade to one.
is it the screen that determines picture quality, the way the screen processes the hdmi signals?
there are many factors involved.

a display's features can help to slightly improve image/video quality using noise reduction, etc.

a graphics processor can slightly improve computer generated models & textures and other graphical data using anti-aliasing, texture filtering processes, etc.

if using a low quality cable you could see some image distortion or just lose data or signal altogether with higher bandwidth data.

Sep 13, 2021
Hi Thanks for reading.
I am wanting to purchase a new micro atx motherboard for building a home theatre pc. I have a 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor and would like a mobo which accepts this. Also a reliable board. My last mobo died and took the hard drive with it and I lost 8 TB of data, still smarting over that.
Also do you know of there is any advantage to purchasing a gaming board, they seem to use more power and have higher specs, but does it have any meaning for improving htpc. I heard asus mobos are good so am leaning towards them but will welcome any mobo recommendations. I have an asus stxII soundcard to reproduce the audio, and for the picture i am hoping to use the mobo's built in solution, do you know of any mobos with a good graphics adaptor.
So I need: 1. micro atx motherboard 2. 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor support 3. High reliability 4. Good graphics adaptor 5. Budget is £200
Many thanks.
Check out Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2. It is the one I'm personally using. It is a Micro-ATX board.
My specs are:
i3 6098p
GTX 1050 Ti Mini 4 GB

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Thanks. I saw the asus h110m white box brand new for £30 on amazon, tempted.

I'm out of touch with the whole graphics thing. How does it work? The hdmi signals from the motherboard go to an external screen and the screen processes the hdmi signals to produce a picture, is that right?
So what does the graphics card do. What does integrated graphics do that a pci-e graphics does not, or vice versa. I mean its all digital zeros and ones, what is one format doing , is it extracting the zeros and ones from the source better than the other, processing it better than the other? I mean the pci-e graphics card can be very expensive, what do you get for your money, if it's all zeros and ones it should not make much of a difference.

your central processing unit processes the data(images, models, textures, etc) then your graphics processor interprets the data and outputs it through a cable to a display.

integrated or dedicated graphics processors work the same way but with a dedicated graphics processor your central processing unit is doing much less work and more data can be processed further and faster.

you should be researching modern processing if you're interested in the specifics of how it works,
not just asking on some public forum of mostly builder enthusiasts and those looking for free help.