[SOLVED] Micro-ATX Build Support

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Howdy all! Have a PC that is a few years old and am looking to upgrade it now. I have a LG 34GN850-B.AUS 34" 1440p monitor and am looking to put together a small form factor build, preferably in a Micro-ATX case that can comfortably power this monitor. This will be primarily used for coding, running virtual machines and Kali Linux more than anything, as well as basic web browsing and internet usage. I would like to be able to play games on it occasionally, but that would not be it's primary purpose. I am not wanting RGB or anything like that as this is supposed to be a "classy" office according to my wife.

Any recommendations on a system build? Would like to run Cyberpunk when it comes out, so unsure if I can do that in a Micro-ATX tower or do I need to go to a mid-size? I have an MSI GS75 Stealth laptop, so if it would be better to keep the desktop more basic and use the laptop to game, that is fine too. Would like budget to be $2k or less.

I truly appreciate any and all help you can provide!

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime now

Budget Range: $1500 - 2000 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Coding, Virtual Machine, Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Have LG 34" 1440p 144hz ultrawide

Parts to Upgrade: Full build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Doesn't matter. Can go to Micro Center or Fry's, or order online.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Impartial

Your Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440

Additional Comments: No RGB, quiet, small form factor, minimal wires with bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old PC doesn't have a solid state drive, is slower and aging. Is in a full size tower and would like to down size. It has a GTX 970 in it.

Solution
Howdy all! Have a PC that is a few years old and am looking to upgrade it now. I have a LG 34GN850-B.AUS 34" 1440p monitor and am looking to put together a small form factor build, preferably in a Micro-ATX case that can comfortably power this monitor. This will be primarily used for coding, running virtual machines and Kali Linux more than anything, as well as basic web browsing and internet usage. I would like to be able to play games on it occasionally, but that would not be it's primary purpose. I am not wanting RGB or anything like that as this is supposed to be a "classy" office according to my wife.

Any recommendations on a system build? Would like to run Cyberpunk when it comes out, so unsure if I...

Any recommendations on a system build? Would like to run Cyberpunk when it comes out, so unsure if I can do that in a Micro-ATX tower or do I need to go to a mid-size? I have an MSI GS75 Stealth laptop, so if it would be better to keep the desktop more basic and use the laptop to game, that is fine too. Would like budget to be $2k or less.

I truly appreciate any and all help you can provide!

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime now

Budget Range: $1500 - 2000 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Coding, Virtual Machine, Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Have LG 34" 1440p 144hz ultrawide

Parts to Upgrade: Full build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Doesn't matter. Can go to Micro Center or Fry's, or order online.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Impartial

Your Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440

Additional Comments: No RGB, quiet, small form factor, minimal wires with bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old PC doesn't have a solid state drive, is slower and aging. Is in a full size tower and would like to down size. It has a GTX 970 in it.
You can get any m atx case
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ncFkfP
Edit; go for 3070 with 650 watt psu

Last edited:
Reactions: Exdeus
Solution