Question micro ATX case that fits in a cupboard.

Scottyp123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
A while ago I built a HTPC with this case

2474331-a.jpg

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-isk-600m-micro-atx-cube-case-with-usb3-and-front-audio

Its an Antec ISK 600M and fits inside my TV cabinet cupboard perfectly, takes a decent sized graphics card and cooler. I'm trying to build another PC now and this case is no longer available and I'm struggling to find anything that has similar dimensions for reasonable money.

You would think the market for cases this size would be huge bit it doesn't seem to be so, its the depth of the case more than anything, most cupboards they are likely to go in are 400mm deep but nearly ever PC case I come across are 400 or longer even if the other dimensions are quite small., with the cables out the back as well they won't fit.

The next size down if the Thelmaltake V21 which I've got but I've had to hack it to pieces to get the GPU to fit as a temporary measure.

The cupboard size is 600 wide, 400 deep and 300 tall inside measurements.

Last edited:
One of the best ever MATX cases I have owned was the silverstone TJ-08E.
I also needed less than 16" depth.
It fits any graphics card and cooler.
You would need to lay it on it's side to meet your height restriction.
One caveat is the length of the psu(160mm) . Seasonic focus units are 140mm long

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ Silverstone does have a great selection of HTPC type cases. I just purchased a Grandia and like it reasonable well. It would be too big for your application I think.

If it weren't for your specifying a powerful GPU, In-Win makes some really cool super small cases called the Chopin that will fit most anywhere. Even smaller than that are a lot of the NUC/mini builds available. Several of the Ryzen mini builds with the G spec can be gamed on at reasonable/considered settings.

Rajintek has a couple of interesting small cases as well.

I guess I should point out that in two of my suggestions, they would require m-ITX motherboards....so I got a bit off track with the point, my bad.

Scottyp123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
i went with this one for my mini build. easily fits the size you're asking about

https://www.thermaltake.com/C_00002373.htm

don't know what parts you're looking to put into it but it easily fit what i chose including a rather long gpu for that case. 270mm if i recall right.

think i paid about ~$50 for it

That looks just like the case I've got at the minute, thought mine was the V21 but it could be either, not sure which is the bigger one. This is what I had to do to it to get my GPU in though.

2BTCo1Un.jpg

Card is a Pallit 1080ti game rock. I don't especially need a card that good but it was surplus to requirements and the cpu was struggling with 4k so I made something decent to watch 4k stuff with out of bits I already had.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ I had an issue very similar to this with the Grandia case and a leftover 1080. The power cables were exceeding the case spec. I found some 90* PCI adapters on Amazon and used them to get the cables to clear...however, it appears your issue may be well more than that in this case.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the v21 says it can hold a 350mm gpu while the 1080 you have is 285mm

the v1 supports up to 285 it says. so not really sure why you can't get the gpu inside the case. the gpu i used was about 270mm or so and it fit int he v1 with little room to spare so i doubt your longer card will fit in the smaller case.

not sure you are going to be able to fit such a thing into such a small case, but i am not versed in every case available.

Can you describe your situation a bit more.
400 x 600x 300 , are these exact max case dimensions?
Are you allowing room for rear panel connections which may well be some 5mm or more.
Is the rear of the cabinet open to allow for pc heat to escape.
A photo would help.
As a HTPC, do you need a case with dvd capability?

Scottyp123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
Can you describe your situation a bit more.
400 x 600x 300 , are these exact max case dimensions?
Are you allowing room for rear panel connections which may well be some 5mm or more.
Is the rear of the cabinet open to allow for pc heat to escape.
A photo would help.
As a HTPC, do you need a case with dvd capability?

Hi, I've actually found one of those cases I had before on ebay, new but open box so I think I'm sorted now on that front.

I stupidly gave my old PC away with that particular case when I upgraded my gaming machine and moved it elsewhere, so I just used an mITX case with a G4560 CPU in my TV cabinet but it struggled with 4K, so as I had a 1080ti card knocking about and a spare i5 CPU I decided to make another PC without spending anything but it wouldn't quite fit in the V21 case I had as you can see from the picture above.

Yes I removed the back on the cabinet and the inside measurements are 400 deep (plus a bit more to the wall), 300 high and 570 wide. The case I've managed to get fits in fine.

No DVD or anything is needed, all my media is stored on a NAS and everything else is just streamed I want to watch.

Scottyp123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
What case did you find?

This one, the first one I linked to above.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-isk-600m-micro-atx-cube-case-with-usb3-and-front-audio

It was from some sort of charity shop on ebay. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

Its the perfect size to fit inside your typical low level TV cabinet, I'm just astonished there isn't much out there that fits these dimensions, it will take a microATX mother board, a decent GPU and there was enough space for me to get a 120mm radiator with twin fans inside.