"Micro Avatar" at lower right of replied topic is MIA on one topic

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
This is obviously not a crisis, but since it's an exception to the rule of the forums software behavior it's probably happening to others, too.

In topic, Memory is being used 99% until system locks up , I have made a reply. Under all other circumstances when I've done this, my avatar in micro size gets overlain at the lower right corner of the original poster's regular tag size avatar. On only this topic, it's not appearing.

Just thought someone should know.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The little picture thing doesn't show on any post with a thumbnail

As to whether its intended behavior or not, I don't know, but it always happens.

poster doesn't even have to pick a thumbnail when creating thread, if you have pictures in the opening post, it will use one of them. replacing the default icon for posts seems to overrule the mini picture thing.

these should all show mini pictures but since 2 have thumbnails, only one does

p4xZvpi.jpg

so its not a bug, its just how it works.

Last edited:
poster doesn't even have to pick a thumbnail when creating thread, if you have pictures in the opening post, it will use one of them. replacing the default icon for posts seems to overrule the mini picture thing.

these should all show mini pictures but since 2 have thumbnails, only one does

so its not a bug, its just how it works.

100% this !

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You all are not understanding what I'm saying.

Any topic to which I've been replying has always shown as the example topic, "Forum Instructions and Info Thread," does in the screen shot above. Including, as in his own example, if I reply to a topic I myself created. The micro version of my avatar shows at the lower right, which I presume is to tell me I've been active on this topic (as I can see no other logical purpose it could serve).

In one topic, the one I gave, that is not happening even though I have replied in it. It is a single "odd man out." Something's off here.

If you want "proof by screen shot" I can easily supply it, from multiple forums here, not just the Win10 forum where the sole exception to the norm has occurred.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
And since a picture is worth a thousand words:

MissingMicroAvatar.jpg

The odd man out topic clearly noted with the red arrow. The three others above it that show my "micro avatar" are what I customarily see if I have made a reply in a given topic.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If a post is created and it includes a photo, the system will use that photo as the image it shows on the forums.

In your above image, all the posts above the one you arrowed at don't include a picture in op, so system has used the regular image it would use, whether that is avatar of op or if they have no avatar, the 1st letter of their name.

Since the arrowed thread includes a picture in the op, the system has used that picture instead of an avatar or letter. In cases like this it won't show your avatar in the corner

same post, it does it to me too

0v3xc97.jpg

its normal, you just don't see many posts with thumbnails that are't the users avatar or a letter

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Colif,

I understand what you mean, as it just happened again when I replied in another topic that had an embedded image in its opening post:

MissingMicroAvatar2.jpg

That being said, this is still, by any typical definition, a bug. Those micro avatars are meant as a signal to the user, and are done as overlays, much like Windows can do the same on desktop icons when certain conditions are met.

Regardless of what is used to generate the topic tag image, that should have zero impact on the presence or absence of the micro avatar overlay if consistency is to be achieved.

I can't fix it, I'm not going to say any more about it, but no one can fix it if it's not identified and the developers don't take a look and decide if that's actually the behavior they intended or not.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Glad you get why it happens.

It might be a simple fix, I really can't say. There are other more pressing things I would like to see around here but who knows, it might just change one day :)