Micro Center Latest To Offer Bundle Deals To Soften GPU Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
I don't know about all of you but I'm not spending a cent or even attempt on gaming all together until this whole chitshow is dealt with. Most system builders in need of a new system are relatively young and have time to kill. I know i can wait a decade for things to settle down. Good luck to you all.

D

Deleted member 2449095

Fortunately I'd be happy with RX550, so the shortage and price increase wouldn't affect me. There are good things when you're older. Most mainstream games get boring and what you play doesn't need powerful cards.

Kennyy Evony has the right idea. No reason to buy anything right now. It just let's vendors know we will pay more. I'll go back to console gaming or no gaming for a while if I have to. I have a bunch of games I still haven't played to tide me over.

hannibal

Distinguished
There is not big change for long time, unles crypto currency boon ends totally. It can take a couple of years untill production gets in balance... the problem is that it is very hard to predict the amounth of cards that will be sold.

Uilleam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
What I see happening is when the new 2060, 2018's come out in a few months it's going to cause a flood of older cards to hit the used parts market. Miners will snatch up the newer cards and there will be plenty left on the shelf because your average gamer will just buy an older card for less which will mean there will be more supply than demand. Sales will spike briefly for video card makers then come to a sudden halt.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
'There is not big change for long time, unless crypto currency boon ends totally. It can take a couple of years until production gets in balance... the problem is that it is very hard to predict the amount of cards that will be sold.''
That is BS. There was a shortage of GPU back in 2017 in August/September 2017. All AMD / Nvidia had to do is to ramp up production of existing GPUs / existing tech. But they did not bother. They don't care about gamers nor miners any more. They shifted production of GPUs to ai, cloud, etc where they can overcharge for the same GPU with updated firmware where GPU acts as professional card.

If the old cards are still able to turn a profit, why would they get rid of them? They'll just continue to use the old cards, in addition to buying up the new cards. The only thing likely to make card prices drop quickly would be if governments started putting heavy-handed regulations on cryptocurrency, scaring away investors. Or perhaps if specialized mining hardware appears that makes mining on video cards obsolete, as happened with Bitcoin some years back. These newer currencies are designed to be resistant against that though.

Otherwise, it seems likely that prices will only slowly decrease over time, as they did after the more limited price spike last summer. Even after half a year, prices weren't entirely back to normal though, and then this most recent spike occurred.

This recent spike has taken my ref-design Aero card (GTX-1080) from a bit overpriced (well, price also reflected 0% interest, iow, interest included in its listed price) to a bit of a bargain. Made me feel a little better over it. Unfortunate for me, all the place carried was two different brands in the 1080 and both were reference design although the names didn't include F.E. or Founders Edition. I would have preferred a more robust cooling system.

I'm good for now.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

AMD/Nvidia have a pretty valid rationale for not ramping up production to address mining demand, and it's been explained in several articles both on Tom's and elsewhere.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Even if the bottom falls out of crypto currency tomorrow, it will take many months for the retail gpu supply to stabilize. The used market, however, will bounce back almost immediately.

mauroinhawaii

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I think the market is saturated with cards like 1080 & 1080 ti. It hurts those now but that same saturation will cause a dip in the future. I think this is a unique situation and might not happen this way again. My thought is that when/if there is a massive sale off of video cards it will be a good time for people to buy. I think there will be. They will come out with some super cheap coin machine that is better and cheaper than video cards etc.

nitelite2

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I've been saving up for a while now so I could build a sweet system. Last years tax money along with this years. I really want a 34" curved monitor but I need a top of the line video card for that and I am not paying $1300 for a card that should cost $600. So, I won't be building anything until prices come down.

MASOUTH

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
"Micro Center released a customer advisory saying that it has raised its GPU prices to be competitive with major online retailers, such as Amazon"

Except it doesn't say that at all. What a horrible attempt to paraphrase.

They start off saying that they raised prices and explain why. Later in the bullets they state they are going to monitor Amazon and Newegg to keep their prices competitive.

You know, as in to make sure our prices stay competitive AFTER we increased them and NOT we increased them to stay competitive.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Not the most perfect paraphrase ever, but let's not try to kid ourselves that that's not exactly what they mean.

Monitor market pricing, and set our prices to be competitive with Amazon and newegg for the same products

Ie, we saw Amazon and Newegg hike their prices, so why shouldn't we? BUT, we have to appear to be competitive, so we won't charge more as a general rule, and we'll limit numbers :lol: Plus, if we feel like it on any given day, we might give some poor PC builder a bit of a break...

All retailers are at it, not just the third-parties as widely believed - although some retailers, or some specific cards are worse than others.

Look at newegg pumping the brakes on the affiliate links to GPUs - they don't need the help selling them at the overly-inflated prices, so they've put a stop on any affiliate kickbacks on GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.