Question Micro-freezing problem on my laptop ?

Oct 26, 2022
Hello,

Recently i had to send back my laptop to warranty due to constant bsod, turning off as soon as it turn on, no sound at all beside the led. I have thought it was due to some motherboard/gpu problem but they told me it was the SSD (even if perfect on Crystaldiskinfo) so they replaced it with another

Ever since i got it back, it still has some "freeze" like in explorer, when i double click something despite the folder not on an hdd/external, it just on the ssd with no preview/many files which is just weird. Aswell as some "micro freeze" ingames

Here are some Speecy screenshot while running a standard game. Micro freezes happens all the time, even since i install a brand new windows after getting back from their support. Laptop is a HP - Pavilion Gaming 15-EC1003NF

View: https://imgur.com/a/yNZAJ9u

What do you guys thinks it could be? Faulty ram, cpu, gpu or failing motherboard? They already reapplied thermal paste and cleaning it so i don't think its a overheating problem

Hey there,

Well thinking it's not overheating is different from knowing that it is not! ;)

Can you run something like Cinebench R23, and run HWInfo alongside it. Note what speeds the CPU is hitting, and what temps you are getting whilst under load.

Then you can use something like Superposition to do the same with your GPU.

You can also use something like Memtest or Memtest86+, set up a bootable Thumb drive, and test the ram. Ideally it should run for 4 passes with 0 (zero) errors.

Edit: Are you using Gaming Hub to manage the processor profiles? I'd disable that, as it can skew issues in terms of resolving them.

Are your bios, system drivers, and chipset drivers up to date? GPU drivers too?

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Meliodas999
Oct 26, 2022
Hey there,

Well thinking it's not overheating is different from knowing that it is not! ;)

Can you run something like Cinebench R23, and run HWInfo alongside it. Note what speeds the CPU is hitting, and what temps you are getting whilst under load.

Then you can use something like Superposition to do the same with your GPU.

You can also use something like Memtest or Memtest86+, set up a bootable Thumb drive, and test the ram. Ideally it should run for 4 passes with 0 (zero) errors.

Edit: Are you using Gaming Hub to manage the processor profiles? I'd disable that, as it can skew issues in terms of resolving them.

Are your bios, system drivers, and chipset drivers up to date? GPU drivers too?

Let us know how it goes.

View: https://imgur.com/a/nnDjOTM

The Cinebench R23 + HWMonitor were ran while running a game (not like it took too much of process)

What is this gaming hub you are talking about? HP Omen one? I disabled it i don't know why it was enabled

System drivers are up to date. GPU not sure because some of the last one are iffy. Bios too i don't know

The micro freeze are mostly while using anything, even explorer might crash. For exemple, on a SSD folder, with no image/preview, my screen/mouse stop for a second and then starts moving again, as if i was lacking ram or had a faulty hdd

Thanks for the help btw

Hey,

I'd start with ensuring all drivers are up to date. Use DDU for the GPU drivers, to uninstall them. Then reinstall fresh.

For the bios, this is key. With Ryzen you need to keep the bios up to date. There was a stuttering bug introduced in one of the early releases of the bios. Having the most up to date one, will likely fix this issue for you.

You should be able to do this through the HP Assistant, if you have it installed. If not, go to the HP support page and download and update to the latest bios.

you should also be using the Ryzen balance power plan, which you get when the chipset drivers are updated.

Oct 26, 2022
Hey,

I'd start with ensuring all drivers are up to date. Use DDU for the GPU drivers, to uninstall them. Then reinstall fresh.

For the bios, this is key. With Ryzen you need to keep the bios up to date. There was a stuttering bug introduced in one of the early releases of the bios. Having the most up to date one, will likely fix this issue for you.

You should be able to do this through the HP Assistant, if you have it installed. If not, go to the HP support page and download and update to the latest bios.

you should also be using the Ryzen balance power plan, which you get when the chipset drivers are updated.

I have done that beside the power plan option which is unfindable for me

Thing is: i ireinstalled in recovery mode the gpus driver with DDU, update the bios, but once i installed the AMD Chipset Software, the games became "sluggish" while without it installed, they run perfectly.

I'm gonna uninstall it for the moment

Try these with powershell:

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a
Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Just copy and paste the code, starting with 'powercfg.....' see if they help or not.

Reactions: Meliodas999
Oct 26, 2022
Try these with powershell:

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a
Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Just copy and paste the code, starting with 'powercfg.....' see if they help or not.

I haven't had a micro freeze yet since 36h using the High Performance mode. Also disabled the Nvidia container service which seems to makes some of my old games lag aswell as lower mouse polling rate

The Bios update seems to have helped a ton. I will reply again if i notice a micro freeze

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 26, 2022
How is everything going?
Update:

Once every few days, my laptop "crash" as in the graphic interface/screen freeze, the fan noise reduce. But the internet for exemple and the software are still working (things are still working in background while checking on another laptop, i can see my game sessions, net, all up)

I used to have this on a very old laptop and adding more RAM did the trick. But rn i have 16GB of ram, i usually use 50% of the memory in Windows while playing and already done a memtest so i don't know if it is the problem. Might be the graphic card or drivers? I uninstalled/reinstalled latest ones with DDU thought. I already had this problem once in a while few months after laptop use. Might be a Windows Update too but i recently disabled all new one but those got installed yesterday just before i disabled for good:

KB5109959
KB5020613
Service Stack 10.0.19041.2180

Oct 26, 2022
Okay, we can rule out a ram issue.

Has the freezing stopped, or just intermittent and this stage?

At this point it might be doing an OS reinstall.

Its only like one freeze each 4-5 days, its similar to when you use too much ram on an old pc. Like the screen "freeze" but everything still running perfectly :unsure:

This is why i thought it was either: a ram problem, graphic card problem or motherboard. The taskmanager usage is still very low few minutes before the "freeze" nothing unusual, just freeze

Doubt its Windows related as with my old SSD (that was "faulty" according to hp support but showed no problem on CrystalDisk) and old Windows install, i still had this freeze from time to time (same frequency). I have sent the laptop to the support because it was having bunch of BSOD/no noise on startup/unusable, they told me they changed SSD and since then no real problem but i don't know if they checked the motherboard/cpu for real because i asked them and they cleaned everything + replaced ssd. Windows reinstall is barely 1 month old, everything still very "fresh" btw

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead