Question Micro freezing stuttering in games

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Hi,

my pc micro stutters in games like csgo, paladins and cod but strangely enough it doesn't happen in gta v or rise of the tomb raider. I updated my bios and every game ran completely smooth until 3 days later the stuttering was back...

This isn't my video but this is exactly what happens freeze 1 (streamable.com)

Things i've tried:
Using one stick of ram at a time
turning off all cpu power saving options
removing gpu drivers with ddu and reinstalling
changing power options in windows
disabling hpet
flashed the bios again and leaving settings on default
reinstalled windows
installed an older version of windows because I heard some updates were causing issues
re-seated all pc components cpu, ram, gpu etc

PC specs:
ryzen 5 2600
rx 580 8gb
asus b450m-k motherboard
corsair 3000mhz ram 2x8gb
evga 600 bq power supply
samsung 240 gb ssd
wd blue 1tb hard drive

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's micro stuttering where video isn't as smooth giving a jitter appearance, and then there's the hard stutters where it locks up like that. The latter often because of thermals, system drive / paging / lack of space / game on a slow drive.

When it stutters, have you observed if it only happens when shooting at someone? Do you have any speciality network drivers installed or tweak software influencing network?

Can ya run userbench and link to results page please.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi,

my pc micro stutters in games like csgo, paladins, witcher, cod, but strangely enough it doesn't happen in gta v or rise of the tomb raider. I updated my bios and every game ran completely smooth until 3 days later the stuttering was back...

This isn't my video but this is exactly what happens freeze 1 (streamable.com)

Things i've tried:
Using one stick of ram at a time
turning off all cpu power saving options
removing gpu drivers with ddu and reinstalling
changing power options in windows
disabling hpet
flashed the bios again and leaving settings on default
reinstalled windows
installed an older version of windows because I heard some updates were causing issues
re-seated all pc components cpu, ram, gpu etc

PC specs:
ryzen 5 2600
rx 580 8gb
asus b450m-k motherboard
corsair 3000mhz ram 2x8gb
evga 600 bq power supply
samsung 240 gb ssd
wd blue 1tb hard drive
This happens often with incorrectly inserted HDMI cables (in the GPU).

Micro Stuttering can sometimes be fixed by clearing the unnecessary programs in task manager and also by disabling all the startup items.

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Turning "Asus Multi-core Enhancement" off in the BIOS helped reduce stutters for me, and lowered temps too.
It was called something different in my bios I did disable it but it made no difference.

There's micro stuttering where video isn't as smooth giving a jitter appearance, and then there's the hard stutters where it locks up like that. The latter often because of thermals, system drive / paging / lack of space / game on a slow drive.

When it stutters, have you observed if it only happens when shooting at someone? Do you have any speciality network drivers installed or tweak software influencing network?

Can ya run userbench and link to results page please.
the stuttering is intermittent it can when i'm just moving around and turning the camera also my games are on an ssd. temps are good cpu never goes above 60 and my gpu also never exceeds 65. I have no special network drivers installed or tweaking software.

This happens often with incorrectly inserted HDMI cables (in the GPU).

Micro Stuttering can sometimes be fixed by clearing the unnecessary programs in task manager and also by disabling all the startup items.

I reconnected my hdmi and it made no difference

I find it strange that GTA V and rise of the tomb raider runs fine but all other games stutter...

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
What monitor resolution are you running at ?

Have you tried turning down the quality settings in game ?

Have you made changes in the AMD Radeon control panel that impact performance ?

Monitor is 144hz 1080p and it happens on all settings and resolutions. I had amd control panel settings on default but I used ddu to reinstall drivers and opted not to install amd control panel this time

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
If problem isn't consistent it's gota be something these troublesome games aren't agreeing with.

Have you tried disable fullscreen optimisation under compatibility for the game's exe/ launch app?

Experiment with cores/threads using this guide and see how these games behave,

View: https://amp.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/b54x8k/how_to_make_ryzen_usable_for_csgo_guide/

Thanks for replying. I've been trying to do this for some time now but windows keeps saying the operation could not be completed

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Thanks for replying. Tried that and the stuttering still occurred. I'm starting to think that it's my internet, right now I am downloading something and watching youtube at the same time and the video started micro stuttering just like the games, the games that don't stutter aren't online like rise of the tomb raider and I only play gta v on story mode, so I was thinking if I try gta in online mode and it stutters then it has to be the internet without a doubt

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Ok that was something to try.

What about your mouse? If you don't use it and test only with keyboard?

I'm not sure why I ruled out my internet the other day either because I ran ping plotter on a few different websites and the ping never went higher than 60 I think but there was always 1-5ms of jitter which might be the problem

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Hmm any of these games you can try in offline mode?

I think I've definitely found the problem now, I had task manager open while playing paladins online and every time the stutter happened the only thing that spiked was my internet have a look at the pictures.

View: https://imgur.com/a/jkRsjZZ
Lag spikes whilst playing the game

View: https://imgur.com/OOBPDUJ
this is watching twitch

It's like my internet is being throttled in the game compared to watching videos etc. If you look at the first picture it's like my internet is capped at 100KBS but the second has a cap of 11MBS

TRENDING THREADS