Question Micro SD card not recognized

Feb 16, 2020
Hi, I'm hoping to find some help to recover images from a micro SD card. I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause but thought I'd try! I purchased a new card, popped it into my camera, went on vacation, took photos, and after 2 days the card gave a read error. I popped another card into my camera and that worked. I popped the bad card into my phone and it wasn't recognized. After returning home, I cleaned the contacts of the bad card, tried it on 5 devices, even tried a few recovery apps - this thing just won't be recognized by any device, it's as if nothing is there when I insert it. I'm pretty sure it was a bogus card and I don't care to repair it, I just want to get my images off it (managed to get a refund and a "good luck" from the seller on Amazon). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover the data, possibly a way to transfer the physical contents of the card to another housing or something? Thanks!

brucepascal

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
I understand your problem, I have the same with a 64GB micro SD.
I would actually appreciate it, if someone could explain something to me. These two pieces of hardware, yours and mine, are in no way physically damaged.

Why is it, there is no software possible, that simply overrides everything and freshly formats the hardware?
I have seen dozens of threads on the subject and all of them say only. "It is not possible."

Thanks

popatim

Titan
The cards would need to be at least detected to have a slim chance when you are talking about software.

And just because the contact and case aren't damaged doesn't mean there isn't any. Just like a lightbulb - the important parts are on the inside.

brucepascal

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
The cards would need to be at least detected to have a slim chance when you are talking about software.

And just because the contact and case aren't damaged doesn't mean there isn't any. Just like a lightbulb - the important parts are on the inside.

Thank you, but as the pictures shows https://ibb.co/bBR3q2q and https://ibb.co/LxVPVKg

the computer can read that it is a 64GB. So there IS contact ! Disk manager shows that it is non allocated.
WHY can unallocated not be allocated?

brucepascal

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
You could try diskdigger.

I have had good results with this program. If indeed the cards are fake that adds to the issue.

Just keep in mind you have to run diskdigger as administrator or the pictures you do find will not save.

https://diskdigger.org/

The card worked very well. The problem that people with this kind of thing have is that it was removed from the computer too early.....
I have of course tried several of these softwares, but of course none works, because all use the same ideas for their software.

What I would like to know, what exactly prevents these softwares, even simple Formatting from Win 7, from flashing the formatting onto ist. THEY ALL DO access the sd, otherwise they could not show it in their lists, and also they DO know the size....

brucepascal

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
Hi, I'm hoping to find some help to recover images from a micro SD card. I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause but thought I'd try! I purchased a new card, popped it into my camera, went on vacation, took photos, and after 2 days the card gave a read error. I popped another card into my camera and that worked. I popped the bad card into my phone and it wasn't recognized. After returning home, I cleaned the contacts of the bad card, tried it on 5 devices, even tried a few recovery apps - this thing just won't be recognized by any device, it's as if nothing is there when I insert it. I'm pretty sure it was a bogus card and I don't care to repair it, I just want to get my images off it (managed to get a refund and a "good luck" from the seller on Amazon). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover the data, possibly a way to transfer the physical contents of the card to another housing or something? Thanks!

I finally found the answer to our question.

These sds have controller section and a memory section is. Because of an interruption of a transfer, which was our fault, the memory section is now in another format called "Raw". "Normal" formatting software does nothing that the Win7 built-in cannot do, so all the suggestions about acronis a.s.o. are useless, as they cannot go beyond the controller section
Seems, this raw-format happens when the electricity supply is interrupted, while data is transferred to the sd.

There actually is ONE software called easeUS that can format it, or at least that is what they say. To find out you have to pay from $50 upwards, which may make sense if it is an expensive 2TB HDD.