Micro SD Cards Suggestions for Phone and Tablet Needed

G

I am going to replace my Samsung Galaxy S5 with either a Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ either later this month or early next month. 90% of what I use my phone for is listening to music and I am not a heavy photo or selfie taker. When I got my S5 2.5years ago, I went with 128 GB Sandisk Ultra MicoSDXC UHS-I Micro SD card. My music collection at the time was around 8000 songs transferred from my Google Play Music account primarily at 320 kbps mp3 format. My music collection used up around 60% of the space on the SD card. I am planning to create a new Google account and re-rip my CD music collection after I am finished with graduate school. During this process, I will be trying to sort out which CDs I do not listen to anymore to hopefully shrink my music library down a bit. At this time I am not certain if I will get either a 128 GB, 200 GB, or 256 GB card. I have three questions:

1. I wish to avoid overkill, but what kind of Micro SD card would you recommend for music storage and listening with secondary usage being for the occasional photo taking and video recording?

2. My music collection is composed of CDs that I have collected over the last 20 years. I occasionally still buy CDs like once every couple of months at most. If I used only around 60% of my storage capacity, would 128 GB still be enough or should I consider moving up to either a 200 or 256 GB storage capacity card?

3. Based on the amount of storage space required for my music, at what percentage should I consider moving up a storage capacity level such as from 128 GB to either 200 or 256 GB?

Thanks.

Solution
i also have a ton of music on my phone and i went with a 128 gb card as well.

it's plenty of space after i weeded out a ton of stuff i did not really listen to. i like to just shuffle everything and hopefully never hear something i don't like. so i took a weekend i was bored and instead of dumping everything on the phone i went artist by artist and copied over only those songs i really like to hear. took about 100 gb and got it down to easily 65 gb or so if i recall right. i do have some complete cd's but those are few and far between since my collection covers most everything from the 1930's big band music through some current stuff.

i'd suggest you could stay with your current card and see if you can cut down what is actually on...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i also have a ton of music on my phone and i went with a 128 gb card as well.

it's plenty of space after i weeded out a ton of stuff i did not really listen to. i like to just shuffle everything and hopefully never hear something i don't like. so i took a weekend i was bored and instead of dumping everything on the phone i went artist by artist and copied over only those songs i really like to hear. took about 100 gb and got it down to easily 65 gb or so if i recall right. i do have some complete cd's but those are few and far between since my collection covers most everything from the 1930's big band music through some current stuff.

i'd suggest you could stay with your current card and see if you can cut down what is actually on the phone that you like. i'm sure you don't listen to it all as it is and adding a ton more will only muddle it further. the only thing i had wholesale is new stuff so i can listen a few times and weed out the songs i don't like.

if after some culling of songs you still need some space, then a step up to a 200/256 gb card would be in order. i download a lot of stuff from netflix and amazon video as well so i use another 20 gb or so of rotating stuff for when i'm stuck with nothing to do. sure beats paying for a ton of mobile data so i can stream what i can already download at home for free on wifi.

Solution