Question Micro stutter/Lag on decent computer

Taron2315

Commendable
Mar 13, 2019
For the past few weeks my computer has been lagging I'm not sure exactly how to describe it since I'm not very knowledgeable but ill try my best.

It started after my pc crashed and i was unable to turn it back on for a few hours until it randomly decided to work since then the issue I'm experiencing is in games and sometimes when browsing the internet or using discord, it's like I'm getting frame skips or a slight delay/lag which is getting really frustrating since my PC isn't that old (2018) and I've taken pretty good care of it and never overclocked.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated thanks!

My Specs:
CPU: i5 8400 (Hyper 212X )
RAM: Corsair 3200mz (clocked at 2666mhz)
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty B360 Gaming K4
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8GB (Upgraded from 1050 ti with new monitor in 2020)
PSU: EVGA 700B 700W 80+ Bronze Power Supply
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
Monitor: Gigabyte G27QC 27 165hz
Case: Corsair Icue 220T (added an extra fan on the back)

I've run the following stress tests each for a few hours with no issues reported:
Memtest86
Kombustor (the gpu did run pretty hot 79-81c)
Prime 95
Samsung Magician

Other things I've done/tried:
Installed a clean version of windows 10
Updated all drivers
Took the PC apart and reassembled everything cleaned out all dust reapplied thermal paste on cpu
Increased airflow to pc by increasing the case fans speed (this did result in better temps)
Tried with g sync on/off and monitor at 60/120/144/165hz
tried playing in 1080p/720p in games
Played around with monitor overdrive settings
Tried a few different recommended combinations of settings on Nvidia control panel
Reseated the cmos battery

Notes:
I was going to upgrade my gpu to a 3070 but since this issue started I've decided to hold back as I'm not sure if i need to replace any other parts first.
Is it possible i have a faulty psu after some research I've found the one i bought isn't of the best quality?

Lutfij

Titan
When you upgraded from the GTX1050Ti to the RTX2070, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers before removing the older GPU, then reinstalling the latest drivers manually from Nvidia's support site? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU?

I would advise on getting a reliably built unit, like the one's made by Seasonic that has at least 650W of power for the entire system(if you want to retain the RTX2070) or a little higher(if you want to drop in an RTX3000 series card) and see if the issue persists.

Getting would imply, borrowing from a friend or neighbor.

By clean install of OS, did you fabricate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Taron2315

Commendable
Mar 13, 2019
When you upgraded from the GTX1050Ti to the RTX2070, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers before removing the older GPU, then reinstalling the latest drivers manually from Nvidia's support site? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU?

I would advise on getting a reliably built unit, like the one's made by Seasonic that has at least 650W of power for the entire system(if you want to retain the RTX2070) or a little higher(if you want to drop in an RTX3000 series card) and see if the issue persists.

Getting would imply, borrowing from a friend or neighbor.

By clean install of OS, did you fabricate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?
Hey the upgrade was last year and i had no issues until now and yea the bios version of my mobo is up to date and i have done two clean installs of windows and also did one after the issues started so i doubt its a driver issue do you think my psu could be the issue its around 3 years old i think.