[SOLVED] Micro Stuttering after installing new GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerstnerBoi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Hello everyone, now I know this topic has probably been on here MANY times before but I thought id take my question here since reddit hasn't been very helpful.

So I recently upgraded my GPU since it was a long time coming and I wanted to play VR games. I upgraded from a 960 to a 1080 TI since it was the only affordable accessible option to me in these times. However ever since installing it ,I've been noticing these strange micro stutters happening. Where the game will be capped at 60 fps, but for a split second, its almost easy to miss the game will freeze and the fps in the corner will show 57 or 58 and go back to 60. Its extremely random and happens on MOST games with the odd game not having this issue. Stardew valley has this problem which is really strange as its not graphically intense at all. When playing VR its fairly smooth, but I will sometimes run into hard crashes (PC shuts off and restarts, no blue screen.) This also happened when trying to do a User benchmark test which I just tried. When I did, it smelt pretty hot.

I've also noticed that my CPU spikes in usage a lot, which is making me believe the GPU is throttling or bottlenecking the CPU.

Things I've tried:
-Using DDU in safe mode to completely remove drivers and reinstall.
-Disconnecting monitors, or other usb devices that could cause the issue.
-Windows is up to date.
-Disabling Game mode.

Specs if anyone is wondering:
CPU- Intel i5 8400
MOBO- MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
PSU - EVGA 600B
RAM - Hyper X Fury 16GB
Storage- 1TB HDD, 1TB SSD

What could be causing this issue? At this point im pointing to either CPU bottleneck or a PSU issue. At least with the PSU it would explain the hard crashes.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. :)

Reactions: John Hicks
Solution
That's a particularly poor quality power supply for this kind of build, and it's one with a well known history of being problematic. I think I'd start there as the B series PSUs are simply not very good especially for a gaming system with a high end discreet graphics card.

I'd probably also target something in the 650-750w range for that configuration including the 1080 ti.

If that fails to resolve your issues, then I'd start looking at the possibility that the card, which obviously must have been purchased used, might have some problems of it's own especially if you did not have these issues with the older graphics card. Make sure you have the most up to date motherboard BIOS version installed as well, and double check that your...
That's a particularly poor quality power supply for this kind of build, and it's one with a well known history of being problematic. I think I'd start there as the B series PSUs are simply not very good especially for a gaming system with a high end discreet graphics card.

I'd probably also target something in the 650-750w range for that configuration including the 1080 ti.

If that fails to resolve your issues, then I'd start looking at the possibility that the card, which obviously must have been purchased used, might have some problems of it's own especially if you did not have these issues with the older graphics card. Make sure you have the most up to date motherboard BIOS version installed as well, and double check that your chipset driver, network adapter drivers and audio drivers are all the latest versions from your motherboard product page.

Reactions: John Hicks
Solution

GerstnerBoi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015

If that fails to resolve your issues, then I'd start looking at the possibility that the card, which obviously must have been purchased used, might have some problems of it's own especially if you did not have these issues with the older graphics card. Make sure you have the most up to date motherboard BIOS version installed as well, and double check that your chipset driver, network adapter drivers and audio drivers are all the latest versions from your motherboard product page.

I think you're spot on with it being a PSU issue. I've had multiple people say that that PSU is low quality and fails quite frequently. Plus I think the PSU was cutting it before but now since the GPU requires 2 8 pin connectors the PSU isn't optimal for power anymore. (Considering it didn't come with 2 8 pin connectors, but just a daisy chain). That would also explain the hard crashes. Most hard crashes like that are either thermal or power related. I guess if the load gets too high the PSU just cant supply enough power or quality power to the components anymore. Guess that will be my next upgrade.

I would try updating the bios and stuff but I'm not well knowledgeable on it, so id have to do my research on how to do it in fear of messing it up. As for chipset, network adaptive, and audio drivers I have no idea how to update those. Are they all within the bios update? Regardless I appreciate the help. Thanks so much!

Also I know there are links in your post for PSU model recommendations, but what would you recommend for this build? Id love to hear your suggestion.

Thanks again :)

Short list of recommendations would probably look something like

1. Any of the higher end Seasonic units, like the Prime series. If that's out of the question due to cost, the Focus Plus units are pretty decent too.

2. Any Corsair RMx, RMi, HX or AX units.

3. Any EVGA G2, G3, P2 or T2 units.

4. Any Thermaltake Toughpower grand units.

5. Any Superflower Leadex II or III models.

6. Any Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro or High current gamer gold (Post 2018 models only)

Aside from that there is good information that you SHOULD take the time to read, both here:

And here:

As far as the drivers go, what version of Windows are you running?

GerstnerBoi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Short list of recommendations would probably look something like

1. Any of the higher end Seasonic units, like the Prime series. If that's out of the question due to cost, the Focus Plus units are pretty decent too.

2. Any Corsair RMx, RMi, HX or AX units.

3. Any EVGA G2, G3, P2 or T2 units.

4. Any Thermaltake Toughpower grand units.

5. Any Superflower Leadex II or III models.

6. Any Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro or High current gamer gold (Post 2018 models only)

Aside from that there is good information that you SHOULD take the time to read, both here:

And here:

As far as the drivers go, what version of Windows are you running?

Thanks so much for these suggestions, will give it a read.

I am currently running windows 10. To answer your question. Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.