[SOLVED] Micro-stuttering and audio distortion

CourierSix

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
About a week ago, after updating to the newest version of Windows 10, version 20H2 with the cumulative update, I found myself stumped by the constant micro-stutters I will get while playing games or browsing the internet. I tried to record the issue happening while playing a game here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ih_G2-nto-a-CcPDMp94wO4Yw0X7UQIv/view?usp=sharing

You can see the framerate doesn't drop below 70-80, but there are constant stutters in the video feed. The mouse will bounce around, and the audio will be choppy. I have tried everything from watching Event Viewer, to turning on XMP profiles, uninstalling MSI Afterburner, monitoring component temps, and much more. I am out of ideas. I even wiped my hard drive and SSD and put in a fresh install of Windows 10, much to no avail. I have considered that it is a hardware issue, but I haven't looked into it yet. The video card and CPU are both relatively new., so are the PSU and RAM. Even the case and MoBo are still relatively new. I am at my wit's end with this, it makes my entire computer unusable, and it would be a shame to just throw out this PC. If anyone could offer some help, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks.

System Info:
Windows 10 Pro
AX370-Gaming K7 MoBo
Ryzen 5 2600x clocked around 4ghz
32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX clocked at 2400MhZ
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Both temps on my CPU and GPU never exceeded 50° c the last time I checked. If needed, I can record the temps tagged onto a video of the issue. My current cooling setup is the typical push/pull on the top and back case fans. the internal temp of the rig never exceeds 30° c. My CPU cooler is a stock Ryzen fan. I have also recently cleaned out my case, no dust in the internals.

Last edited:
Solution
Really need help with this issue, haven't updated any drivers except Graphics, and really confused on how to fix this
If you suspect that it is the OS open CMD as admin and type "sfc /scannow" If that shows corruption something when wrong with the update. The sfc scan potentially fixed it, however, I would now follow it up with DISM scans. Do the following scans in this order and wait until it is finished before starting the next one in the same CMD:

1. "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth"

2. "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth"

3. "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

If you still are having the issue then the windows update was probably not the cause of the issue but maybe catalyst that started it.

It...
Really need help with this issue, haven't updated any drivers except Graphics, and really confused on how to fix this
If you suspect that it is the OS open CMD as admin and type "sfc /scannow" If that shows corruption something when wrong with the update. The sfc scan potentially fixed it, however, I would now follow it up with DISM scans. Do the following scans in this order and wait until it is finished before starting the next one in the same CMD:

1. "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth"

2. "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth"

3. "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

If you still are having the issue then the windows update was probably not the cause of the issue but maybe catalyst that started it.

It may also have to do with your CPU overclock not getting the correct amount of voltage. I have had bad overclocks on CPUs cause audio distortions before.

Solution