Question Micro stuttering at high fps is driving me insane, Please help me

Jul 13, 2019
Basically in some games whenever my frame rate drops below 60 it is immediately noticeable. If it drops to 59 or 58 a very small stuttering occurs. Enough to ruin my experience and make me think about the microstutter and not the game anymore. It happens pretty frequently in a gaming session.

Specs:
i7 9700k
GTX 1070
16 GB RAM
SSD
DVI Monitor 60hz

I use Nvidia Inspector to limit my fps to 60, I never use v-sync. I've monitored my CPU, GPU temps and usage in one instance just as my fps dropped from 60 to 59 and the microstuttering/jitter occured and here are the results:

GPU - 55°C 60%
CPU - 40°C 40%

What should I do? What is at fault here? I've experienced this issue in games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Metro Exodus, Dishonored 2, Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Darksiders 3. So the problem is not just one game. I have no idea what is happening, why it's happening, there seems nothing wrong. I mean, I know what a fps drop is, normally it should only be noticeable at 55fps or below and it goes down in a smooth away but here at 59fps i immedieately notice it, it's very distracting. I can't play, I only think about when will the next microstutter take place.

EDIT:
Something important to add...
I just did a test in Metro Exodus. I stood in place doing nothing, letting the game run, and at every ~2 min. the fps dropped to either 59 or 58. Precisely at that interval. Did this narrow the solutions to my problem?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

you can use a tool called Latency Monitor to see if you have any other misbehaving drivers. does the stuttering happen only in games or in streaming video playback as well? I have found in the past using this, several misbehaving drivers from network to usb

D

Deleted member 14196

did it ever used to work without stuttering? if so, you may need to revert to an earlier video driver to get your smooth performance back.