[SOLVED] Micro-stuttering happening out of nowhere ?

Mar 26, 2023
Everything had been working fine for over 6 months until one day I started getting microstutters every 1-2 seconds in every single one of my games. It started a few months ago so I don't remember if I did anything to cause it, although I did get a new computer case and an upgraded motherboard to go with it (used to be micro ATX, figured I would upgrade my motherboard to an ATX one as well). I'm pretty sure I remember the microstutters starting before I changed my motherboard but I could be mistaken. All of the temps are good, I did a fresh install of windows after I installed the motherboard, I've messed around with most NVCP and windows settings, not really sure what else to try. Again, the only things that changed about my setup when I upgraded were the case and the motherboard.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @4.1GHz
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: 8GB 3200MHz x2 (16GB total)
PSU: 850w
Motherboard: MAG B550 Tomahawk

Solution
The power supply is GAMEMAX RGB-850 850W Modular 80 Plus Gold

It's indeed your current PSU. Gamemax PSUs are horrible, and are not recommended for high-end gaming PCs. So this could be the red flag, as the quality of any Gamemax power supply unit is quite questionable. These are low tier units, and some models are even considered a fire hazard as well.

Please get a high quality PSU instead, and then retest all the games and the overall performance. Never skimp on the PSU, since this is the MOST important component in any high-end gaming rig especially.

It's indeed your current PSU. Gamemax PSUs are horrible, and are not recommended for high-end gaming PCs. So this could be the red flag, as the quality of any Gamemax power supply unit is quite questionable. These are low tier units, and some models are even considered a fire hazard as well.

Please get a high quality PSU instead, and then retest all the games and the overall performance. Never skimp on the PSU, since this is the MOST important component in any high-end gaming rig especially.

Last edited:
Solution
PSU: 850w

What is the exact Model number and brand of this PSU ? What all PC games have you tried playing ? List all the names. Also, are the games installed on an SSD or HDD ? You could try reinstalling some of the games on another hard drive/storage to see if ding this makes any difference or not.

Make and model number of your Monitor ? Screen resolution and refresh rate used for gaming ? Have you tried capping the frame rate/FPS, or using VSYNC to lock the fps ?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 26, 2023
What is the exact Model number and brand of this PSU ? What all PC games have you tried playing ? List all the names. Also, are the games installed on an SSD or HDD ? You could try reinstalling some of the games on another hard drive/storage to see if ding this makes any difference or not.

Make and model number of your Monitor ? Screen resolution and refresh rate used for gaming ? Have you tried capping the frame rate/FPS, or using VSYNC to lock the fps ?

As for games, I play Valorant, Celeste, Enter the Gungeon, Terraria, Hollow Knight, Minecraft, and many more. Every game I play gets microstutters. All of my games are on my HDD but I have already tried reinstalling games on my SSD which did not change anything.

Monitor is ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM, I am running it at 240hz and 1080p for everything.

The stuttering is still there with vsync or capped fps.

Mar 26, 2023
Hey there,

Is your ram running at XMP? You can check this with the 'SPD' and 'Memory' tab in CPU-z.
No information is being displayed on either tab for me except for the size in the memory tab which is 16312MB.

I did however see on the CPU tab that my CPU core speeds were plummeting to 255MHz every couple seconds so I don't think it's a problem with the RAM. Could it be the power supply?