[SOLVED] Micro-stuttering in most of my games ?

Feb 4, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have just recenlty built my first gaming PC in order to play game such as Call of Duty Warzone, WoW or League of Legends.

I have faced microstuttering issues since the beginning and got really frustrated after a big deal of research. I will list my PC specs below and some of the things i tried to fix the issue. I am still new to PC building etc. so it is really hard for me to fix an issue which could be related to so many things. I very much appreciate any help, be it here or also via PM / Discord if possible.

Of course i would share any progress made in fixing the issue in detail.

My specs:

-----------------------------------------
Graphicscard: Nvidia Geforce rtx 3070
Processor: AMD ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Stock cooler that came with processor
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
SSD: Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB internal SSD up to 2400 MB/s
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP
Powersupply: EVGA 700 BR 80 Plus 700W
Monitor: ASUS VG278QF 68,65 cm (27 Zoll) Monitor (Full HD, 0,5ms Reaktionszeit, FreeSync, HDMI, DisplayPort, 165Hz)
--------------------------------------------
First of all i would consider my hardware to be pretty decent and was hoping most of the new games would run smoothly (afterall i spent quite a lot of money on the PC).

What i did so far in order to try to fix the issue:

1. First my PC was running on really high temperatures, so i thought the issue was overheating. My motherboard BIOS would set clock speed to auto and overclock CPU speed automatically. I capped clock speed at 3700 /4000 MHz in order to avoid unnecessary overclocking. In the beginning i always chose the XMP option, but now i manually set my RAM to 3200Mhz. When i chose XMP, it would automatically override clock-speed settings to auto again. Eventually, CPU and GPU temps are now really good. I rarely get over 70 degr. for both when gaming. Many times it's way lower at c. 50 degr.

2. So knowing the issue is really unlikely to be overheating i kept on researching as the microstutters still persisted (especially for WoW, what really annoys me as this is really not a game demanding crazy computer specs).
Now i started getting into Windows settings that might cause stuttering. Just to name a few:

• Setting relevant CPU usage for relevant game on normal in task manager
  • making sure my power settings are correctly setup. Meaning maximum processor state below 100% in order to avoid auto boost which leads to overclocking.
  • setting visual effects in advanced system settings to "best performance"
  • i haven't yet disabled any windows services in the background because i wasn't sure which ones i am allowed to disablen (i really do not think this is the problem)
  • disabled gaming bar
Things i haven't tried so far due to a lack of time:

• Reinstall windows, as it basically deletes all my games if i udnerstood correctly. I don't have a 1TB harddrive right now to save the games externally and then reload them on the computer
  • Change hardware (it's brandnew)
  • Probably many more things i could try.. but i can't think of all of them at the same time now.
  • i still haven't tried installing my graphicscard driver externally (meaning without the geforce app). I checked in system settings , my driver is the latest version. So i also think this is unlikely to be the problem.
Other things i have tried:

• I reinstalled the latest BIOS version of my motherboard (7C91v15). Possible that there is any issue with this version? Should i install an earlier version?
  • reinstalled chipset drivers
  • Are there any other drivers i really need to install or which could cause the issue?
Many people talk about installing games on the correct drive (meaning SSD rather than HDD). I only installed an SSD (see specs above). So all my games should be automatically saved on the SSD, right? I wasn't sure whether or where i can check that.

I hope i didn't forget anything.

My best guess as to where the issue lies is:

- windows causing stuttering issues (maybe only a reinstall helps here)

- something wrong with my hardware (though i really took my time to build the PC and tried to make sure i didn't do anything wrong when building it).

- Compatibility between CPU - GPU - RAM

- the CPU itself not being good enough. I close to reached a point at which i just buy a new CPU. The graphics card is really high end, so i really think it's not the graphics card.

I appreciate any help and would also pay somebody fixing the issue for good for me and / or having a proper look at my whole PC build and if i have done anything wrong.

I hope this post may also help other people that have the same issue with high-end gaming PCs.

Looking forward to your responses.

Best regards,
Nik

Solution
Stuttering us usually caused by a momentary lack of cpu resource.
Particularly single thread performance.
5600x should be as good as it gets in that department.
You want to get that turbo clock back up to the 5000 area which the processor should be able to handle.

What is the make/model of your case?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to let it do it's job.
I suspect that a cooler upgrade would go a long way for you.
If your case permits(160mm headroom) a noctua nh-d15s would be as good as it gets for air and will allow the processor a max turbo speed.

As to the psu, your psu is not considered as great quality on this list:
One of the first symptoms of...
Feb 4, 2021
You have the GPU to screen via DisplayPort / HDMI will stutter why have a EVGA 700 BR 80 Plus 700W £50 for a Nvidia Geforce rtx 3070 £600 the PSU is not fit for purpose NVIDIA suggest over 600 have a look at PSU Tier list.

I am not sure i understood correctly. My GPU is connected via DisplayPort to the Monitor. As you said my Nvidia Geforce rtx 3070 demands 600W+ and my EVGA powersupply has 700W, what is wrong with that?

Feb 4, 2021
its bronze rated not fit for for gaming and I very much would not think it is powerful enough but you could read about PSU's in the tier list last post on subject.

Okay, that's good to know. The PSU was recommended though in a PC build specifically for gaming. So you think the whole issue is most likely my powersupply? Greatly appreciate if you or anybody else has another suggestion. Rest seems fine for now? Also my Bios settings etc.?

Stuttering us usually caused by a momentary lack of cpu resource.
Particularly single thread performance.
5600x should be as good as it gets in that department.
You want to get that turbo clock back up to the 5000 area which the processor should be able to handle.

What is the make/model of your case?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to let it do it's job.
I suspect that a cooler upgrade would go a long way for you.
If your case permits(160mm headroom) a noctua nh-d15s would be as good as it gets for air and will allow the processor a max turbo speed.

As to the psu, your psu is not considered as great quality on this list:
One of the first symptoms of insufficient power might be display artifacts.
Since things are working, changing out the psu is not likely to fix anything.

Solution
Feb 4, 2021
You guys won't believe it, but i think i found the solution. Right in the beginning i set a slideshow windows background. When i windowed WoW i realized that whenever i had one of these micro-stutters my windows background picture changed. I swtiched that off and checked in all 3 games - no stuttering anymore (and i was running my CPU on 4300 MHz). Now i can finally start making proper use of my CPU / GPU. And yes, with a watercooler i should be able to boost performance a lot. At some point i might also get a better power supply, but it works pretty good for now. As to my case, i have the be quiet pure base 600. I have a lot of space left, so should be able to fit in a bigger cooler. Many thanks to all of you!