Question Micro stuttering on new build, even on 2012 games.

Mar 2, 2022
Hi. I spent all of my money on a new GPU and monitor and I can't smooth play a 2013 game like GTA V... I'm having micro stuttering (no audio, just video... like a 1ms freeze) that it's ruining all the experience and frustrating me.

I have a Ryzen 5 5600X and 2x8 GB 3200MHz RAM on a Rog Strix b550-F mobo, and now I complete my setup with a RX 6600XT and a Asus VP249QGR (144hz 24").
5600X and 6600 XT should be a perfect match, but I'm not having a good gaming experience and I'm not even playing modern heavy games like God of War or Assassin Creed Valhalla... I'm having a bad experience playing old games.

I ran every test I could think of and everything it's fine... Stable system, good operation system, temps are good (for AMD, could be better but I literally have no money now), PSU are good, no bottleneck... Here are the results:
UserBenchmark results 1
UserBenchmark results 2
HWmonitor while gaming part 1
HWmonitor while gaming part 2
HWmonitor while gaming part 3

I think you can see those freezes or micro stuttering on RTSS... I don't know if it helps or not.

MgCP0t9.png

and Here's the downloadable result via export data.

The numbers are good... I have a good amount of FPS, 100 FPS on GTA V ultra it's great, but the experience it's now good. I enjoyed more with my old R7 370 and 19" 60Hz monitor on low settings than now.
Already tried:
  • update drivers
  • downgrade drivers
  • DDU and install again (minimal and full install)
  • update BIOS (now I'm running latest and AFAIK it's not a good idea to downgrade bios).
  • play without Freesync (horrible tearing and micro stuttering still was there)
  • reinstalling game
I have a fresh install of Windows. And I tried with FPS capped, uncapped, with Vsync ON, Vsync OFF, enhanced Vsync... nothing worked.

I read the best 144hz settings for a smooth experience was:
  • VSYNC OFF in game settings (this makes the game more VRR-friendly)
  • VSYNC ON in driver settings (this eliminates artifacts/stutters/tearing/lag caused by framerate gyrating above/below monitor's Hz)
  • FreeSync ON in driver settings
  • FreeSync ON in monitor menus
  • Framerate cap about 3fps below Hz, since there can be stutters caused by the transition of framerate above/below Hz.
I took every advice, and still I can't play smooth. Here's my graphs after following those settings. And I installed 3 moths old drivers (Recommended WHQL) that should be the most stable, and yet... can't play on ultra
MuI3FGz.png

Hope someone can help. I don't know if I have to return the monitor, if I have RMA the GPU, or what... but it's really frustrating spend all your money to can't play smoothly a 8 years old game on 1080 ultra settings. ... I don't know what is the problem.

EDIT: Even in League of Legends I have this micro stuttering... less, just a few times, cause it's a <Mod Edit> game but I still have them. League of legends... you can run that game smoothly on a A8 apu or a cellphone. I wanna cry

A7NpMBb.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2022
Trying now: I'm moving GTA to my M.2 instead of my HDD (this shouldn't be a problem but just to try) and I'm going to disable fTPM (don't know what it is but I read that AMD have stuttering problem with it) and I'll update here if this helped or not.

UPDATE: I disabled fTPM and moved the game to my M.2 and same <Mod Edit> gameplay.

gfB7mMY.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 7, 2022
Uhh, check windows update history and see if there's KB4023057 installed just recently. Also check task manager if it has a lot of random apps using your SSD and there should be memory compressing task in resource monitor using quite a bit of your cpu %. If that's it, just wait till your windows finish doing whatever it does to get ready to install next big windows update.

Mar 2, 2022
You can see on the pictures that it uses up to 23Gb ram of your 16 so it is hitting the page file, did you check if it uses less on lower settings? Maybe ultra is a bit much.
That's weird... maybe it was a reading error. But anyways, It is only in that screen, maybe I changed a Ingame setting (like 144hz to 120hz to try and then it hit 23 cause the computer freeze for a sec). 23 it's for "commit charge", IDK if that's RAM.

But looking at the first reading, playing for an hour... I got Max 8320GB. And for my setup, ultra shouldn't be a problem... it's a 10 years old game.

But anyways... I get micro stuttering on LEAGUE OF LEGENDS, as I showed in the last screenshot... and I played that game smoothly on my 2015 laptop. That's the popularity of the game, you can run it basically on anything.

Uhh, check windows update history and see if there's KB4023057 installed just recently. Also check task manager if it has a lot of random apps using your SSD and there should be memory compressing task in resource monitor using quite a bit of your cpu %. If that's it, just wait till your windows finish doing whatever it does to get ready to install next big windows update.
I'll check about the update when I get home. But as you can see on UserBench, my system it's running perfectly... no bloatware, no background apps... and my M.2 it's only at 50%

Apr 7, 2022
That's weird... maybe it was a reading error. But anyways, It is only in that screen, maybe I changed a Ingame setting (like 144hz to 120hz to try and then it hit 23 cause the computer freeze for a sec). 23 it's for "commit charge", IDK if that's RAM.

But looking at the first reading, playing for an hour... I got Max 8320GB. And for my setup, ultra shouldn't be a problem... it's a 10 years old game.

But anyways... I get micro stuttering on LEAGUE OF LEGENDS, as I showed in the last screenshot... and I played that game smoothly on my 2015 laptop. That's the popularity of the game, you can run it basically on anything.
I'll check about the update when I get home. But as you can see on UserBench, my system it's running perfectly... no bloatware, no background apps... and my M.2 it's only at 50%
Oh, ic now. Nothing's happening on your PC when you're gaming. Not even the game is running by the looks of it. It's idling in a background. Your system is not running perfectly, it's actually almost perfectly idle. You gotta run the game on the screen when doing this. But actually try this first. Just setting your screen refresh rate in windows settings to 144 Hz will probably help.

Mar 2, 2022
Oh, ic now. Nothing's happening on your PC when you're gaming. Not even the game is running by the looks of it. It's idling in a background. Your system is not running perfectly, it's actually almost perfectly idle. You gotta run the game on the screen when doing this. But actually try this first. Just setting your screen refresh rate in windows settings to 144 Hz will probably help.
Setting windows display config to 144 was the first thing I did after plugged in the cables.

And I don't understand the rest of your message. The game was running on every screenshot I uploaded... Maybe in some of them I took too much time to take the screenshot and the right side of some of the screenshot looks plain cause I was running nothing. But on the left side the spikes and uses are while gaming.

I open Afterburner, start the reford and open GTA V. Then I play for a while (half hour or one hour) and then I close it and take the screenshot.

Apr 7, 2022
Setting windows display config to 144 was the first thing I did after plugged in the cables.

And I don't understand the rest of your message. The game was running on every screenshot I uploaded... Maybe in some of them I took too much time to take the screenshot and the right side of some of the screenshot looks plain cause I was running nothing. But on the left side the spikes and uses are while gaming.

I open Afterburner, start the reford and open GTA V. Then I play for a while (half hour or one hour) and then I close it and take the screenshot.
Ok, that's good. Freesync in your display and amd driver settings are turned on, I guess. Do you have anything else that caps FPS or changes resolution? Also check if any software you have running can cap FPS and also check it isn't capped and V-sync is off ingame. Try if it helps. Try doing this without any monitoring software, no afterburner, RTSS or whatever.
The game wasn't running when you took CPUID HWMonitor screenshots, it was idling in a background instead. Run the game in borderless fullscreen mode and then look at the HWMonitor cuz otherwise game basically pauses rendering. Also GTA showing meh fps and 6600 XT may be to weak to run it 1080p ultra with 100+ fps consistently enough.

nemofoot

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Hey did you ever fidn a fix I have a 5600x and 3060 ti and seem to get the same issues as you, have had trouble for months and spent dozens of hours trying to fix so frustrated... thanks

Mar 2, 2022
Hey did you ever fidn a fix I have a 5600x and 3060 ti and seem to get the same issues as you, have had trouble for months and spent dozens of hours trying to fix so frustrated... thanks
Hi bro. Nope... I don't know, micro stutter still there. I tried every driver version you can think of... latest WHQL, older WHQL, optional that supposed to be great according to the community like 22.3.2, some worked better, some worst but every single one have micro stutters. I even try the MAY preview that supposed to boost 15% or even more performance on DX11 games... but nothing.
And now I perform a complete refresh install of windows (like freshest... wipe the hole disk from a third part app, not windows installer, and then install windows) and same thing... good numbers (temps, fps, etc) but I have micro stutters.

I'll contact Asus to RMA or support, none online solution worked... and this shouldn't be like this. I saw thousands of reviews and none talk about this, it's not a common issue that everybody it's talking about. I even see MSI AfterBurner of gameplays and reviews and none of them have this level of micro stutters, with 50MS spykes on frametime.

Reactions: nemofoot