[SOLVED] Micro-stuttering, unstable core clock & power in certain games

Caster13

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I've been having a problem on and off for a few months now where certain games will experience severe microstuttering (pausing for quarter of a second every half second). The problem first started last year when the issue randomly popped up 30 hours into Sekiro (was running smoothly and beautifully until the problem started) . A reformat and clean Windows reinstall fixed the issue.

These past few months, though, the issue has cropped up again--but not in all games. I've done a bit more troubleshooting this time and I noticed that the micro-stuttering occurred in games that also had wildly unstable and fluctuating core clock and power usage as can be seen here.

Some games that don't micro-stuttering:
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Elite: Dangerous
  • Hades
Some games that do have micro-stuttering:
  • Hardspace: Shipbreakers
  • Total War: Warhammer 2
  • Old World
I've done all the usual general troubleshooting solutions: updated GPU drivers, downgraded GPU drivers, reformat/reinstall, physically cleaned inside my PC case, etc. but the issue persists.

Anybody have any idea as to what could be causing the problem and how to fix it?

My specs:
Mobo: B85M-D Plus
CPU: i5-4460
GPU: RX 480 8GB
RAM: 16 GB
PSU: Corsair 750W

Solution
Good news! I've seemed to have solved the problem. While I was researching the issue, I came across a few posts and suggestions in other forums that mentioned replacing the thermal paste compound for my GPU.

I decided to give the suggestions a try, dropped $20 on some Artic Silver 5 and rubbing alcohol, and spent two hours of an afternoon doing a bit of DIY hardware tinkering. Overall, I: a) cleared the dust in my case b) replaced the thermal paste for my GPU (note: potentially voids your warranty!), and c) replaced the thermal paste for my CPU while I had everything open.

I've done a quick test and the new thermal paste seems to have done the trick; my GPU core clock and power usage is now stable in Hardspace: Shipbreaker.

Only bad...

Caster13

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I don't use the AMD software because of how clunky they are but I've increased the power limit by 20% using MSI Afterburner. This hasn't had any effect and the microstuttering and unstable core clock and power usage continues.

Caster13

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Good news! I've seemed to have solved the problem. While I was researching the issue, I came across a few posts and suggestions in other forums that mentioned replacing the thermal paste compound for my GPU.

I decided to give the suggestions a try, dropped $20 on some Artic Silver 5 and rubbing alcohol, and spent two hours of an afternoon doing a bit of DIY hardware tinkering. Overall, I: a) cleared the dust in my case b) replaced the thermal paste for my GPU (note: potentially voids your warranty!), and c) replaced the thermal paste for my CPU while I had everything open.

I've done a quick test and the new thermal paste seems to have done the trick; my GPU core clock and power usage is now stable in Hardspace: Shipbreaker.

Only bad news is now I have one less excuse to build a new PC from scratch.

Solution
Ah, so you were thermal throttling.

I prefer AMD Settings (wattman) to afterburner. But also because AMD settings is already installed with the driver software.

I had great success re-pasting my MSI RX480 GamingX 8G also. It was hitting 85C @ 2400rpm. Using the same undervolt after re-paste, it's at 73C @ 1100rpm for over a year now. I can't tell the difference between the fans being off and 1100rpm.