Question Micro-stuttering while watching YT & while gaming and alt tabbing into the game ?

Mar 19, 2024
Newly assembled PC:
12400F
16GB 3200Mhz
RX6650XT
550W good PSU

- no overheating
- no performance problems
- drivers up to date
- instant replay and recording turned off in AMD panel

There is only but one damn problem: micro-stuttering. It only happens in 2 cases: watching a video getting random micro-stutters, SOMETIMES while I alt tab into my game it freezes for 2 seconds and then everything runs just fine 0 problems and sometimes it micro-stutters too.

LISTEN TO THE SOUND, can you hear how it stutters for 0,2sec? That kind of stutter when system crashes but it only happens for 0,1-0,3 second.

View: https://i.imgur.com/nibewYg.mp4

Now the question for 1 milion dollars is, HOW [redacted] do I fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

550W good PSU
You might want to elaborate on this. 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit while Good PSU has no semblance actually. Please pass on the make and model of the PSU and it's age if it's been in service for a while.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 19, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

550W good PSU
You might want to elaborate on this. 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit while Good PSU has no semblance actually. Please pass on the make and model of the PSU and it's age if it's been in service for a while.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard?
PSU is fine for sure its a recommended brand SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W I used to have one years ago, this one is used but well preserved.

Asus B660M Wifi. I don't know the BIOS version.

Currently I am thinking about:
- replacing AMD gpu with Nvidia one. When any kind of videos are played, GPU is being used, obviously same about games. It seems RX5000/RX6000 users have similar problems on Google. I never had a problem with Nvidia, but I recently lost trust to AMD when I had Ryzen 3600.
- reinstalling entire system

Mar 19, 2024
CPU - 5800x3D
GPU - 7900 xtx
I had a similar issue with my system where I would get random stutters here and there and I think I finally figured out that it was AMD instant replay that was causing the issue.
If you have that enabled, try disabling it and see if that helps. Unfortunately, if that is the case, I wasn't able to fix the issue with instant replay by messing with any settings or anything, only option was to just turn it off completely.

Mar 19, 2024
My bad, didn't realize you had said this in the post already.

How persistent is this issue specifically the video stuttering? Does it happen consistently every time you are watching a video, does it only happen when you are also playing a game or does it only happen every so often?

Reactions: helper800
Mar 19, 2024
playing CS:GO
no

while a video is playing
no, its stuttering when every other app is off no game in background

My bad, didn't realize you had said this in the post already.

How persistent is this issue specifically the video stuttering? Does it happen consistently every time you are watching a video, does it only happen when you are also playing a game or does it only happen every so often?
its random really i dont know why

Mar 19, 2024
You said this was a newly built pc right? Did this issue start from the get go or did it start later on randomly? AMD is known to sometimes have driver issues here and there, maybe it could've been a windows update or driver update that started the issue.

Mar 19, 2024
You said this was a newly built pc right? Did this issue start from the get go or did it start later on randomly? AMD is known to sometimes have driver issues here and there, maybe it could've been a windows update or driver update that started the issue.
i haven't notice when did it start but this PC is 3 weeks old so idk its

i haven't notice when did it start but this PC is 3 weeks old so idk its
Nvidia is also prone to many such issues, AMD is not alone in the struggle to make good drivers.

Open up a resource monitor like task manager or HWinfo. Does the CPU, storage, or GPU usage spike when these stutters happen? When you do get these stutters, does the entire PC stutter like the OS or is it just in game applications? If the entire computer lags at the same interval when this issue is happening you may have a short on the motherboard. Usually its a loose screw or motherboard standoff that is pressing against the bottom of the motherboard.

Last edited:
Not many here would recommend that PSU. It's not great. It doesn't actually even hit the 550w mark on 12v rail.

I'd be looking at changing that out. If the PSU isn't providing clean power to the system, issues will arise.
What I am sure of is that PSU is not great, what I am unsure of is if that can possibly cause such an issue. Usually PSUs cause shutdowns when there are issues providing clean power at the requested wattage. It would be a highly irregular case if it were the PSU causing this issue, though not entirely impossible.

What I am sure of is that PSU is not great, what I am unsure of is if that can possibly cause such an issue. Usually PSUs cause shutdowns when there are issues providing clean power at the requested wattage. It would be a highly irregular case if it were the PSU causing this issue, though not entirely impossible.
Yep, agreed. Not typical of what you'd expect if there were a PSU issue, but it has happened before for sure.

Reactions: helper800
Lets back up a second: What browser are you using to watch YT? Make sure HW acceleration is on; it's possible it's off (for whatever reason) and the CPU is doing decoding of video.

As for alt-tabbing, are you using Exclusive or Borderless fullscreen? If Exclusive, that explains the stuttering as *everything* needs to be loaded and rendered again from scratch, which will take a few seconds. That *shouldn't* happen with Borderless for the most part, but I could see cases where it might need a second depending what you were doing in the background (especially if heavy RAM usage).

Mar 19, 2024
Rare but it could be a ram issue. Might not be a bad idea to do a memtest86 and just double check your xmp profile.

Lets back up a second: What browser are you using to watch YT? Make sure HW acceleration is on; it's possible it's off (for whatever reason) and the CPU is doing decoding of video.

As for alt-tabbing, are you using Exclusive or Borderless fullscreen? If Exclusive, that explains the stuttering as *everything* needs to be loaded and rendered again from scratch, which will take a few seconds. That *shouldn't* happen with Borderless for the most part, but I could see cases where it might need a second depending what you were doing in the background (especially if heavy RAM usage).
its happening even outside youtube apparantly... I am so pist doing system reinstall on my second M.2 SSD and see if that helps.

Mar 19, 2024

HW is on, its Chrome. I installed entire new system on a better SSD (3x faster read/save speeds). Didn't help. Still I get those random micro freezes. I also installed driver only for my RX6650XT to exclude all unnecessary crap. Didn't help. I replaced RAM with new ones, 3600Mhz CL17 Patriots, solid as fk. Didn't help.

At this point it should be GPU... but in games under full load it's working well so idk why is this happening.

its happening even outside youtube apparantly... I am so pist doing system reinstall on my second M.2 SSD and see if that helps.
As I have said above: "If the entire computer lags at the same interval when this issue is happening you may have a short on the motherboard. Usually its a loose screw or motherboard standoff that is pressing against the bottom of the motherboard."