[SOLVED] Micro stutters at lowest settings in Dota 2

Sep 22, 2019
Hello, I'm having a problem with the game performance of my 1 year old laptop OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx.

General specifications

Operating system : Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Microprocessor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
System memory : 16GB
Memory slot 1 : 16GB SK Hynix 2667MHz
System board : 84DB 93.22
System BIOS : F.09

Video
Graphic device 1 : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Current resolution : 1920 x 1080
Refresh rate : 143 Hz
Version : 26.21.14.3630 (9/5/2019)
Areo status : Enabled

Full specs: https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c06062647

I'm experiencing stutterings during team fights and spawns of many units in the game Dota 2 at the lowest settings.
Here's a recorded video of the game with information about the CPU and GPU usage. https://www.dropbox.com/s/drfrhtuaz4bz2n4/Dota 2 2019.09.11 - 17.07.33.02.mp4?dl=0
I have also tried capping the max fps to 144 and turn on Vsync, but the problem persists.

I have contacted HP support. According to them, my laptop is running fine. They say that the problem is probably with the game itself and ask me to check if the problem occurs on a high-end offline game.

Is there a problem with my laptop? Or do I need a better laptop/pc to play Dota 2 smoothly?

Last edited:
Solution
Not enough memory bandwidth in a single stick configuration, aka single channel mode. Dual channel > single channel.
Single channel is not ideal for gaming setups. The cpu works as a pair with the memory, so it's performance is affected too.

Get a new 2x 8GB kit and see if you can sell the single stick. If you choose to take a chance with just adding another 16GB stick:
-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Different kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - it's simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms of an incompatible kit don't always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering(also from a certain lack of bandwidth), and BSODs

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not enough memory bandwidth in a single stick configuration, aka single channel mode. Dual channel > single channel.
Single channel is not ideal for gaming setups. The cpu works as a pair with the memory, so it's performance is affected too.

Get a new 2x 8GB kit and see if you can sell the single stick. If you choose to take a chance with just adding another 16GB stick:
-Different kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - it's simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms of an incompatible kit don't always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering(also from a certain lack of bandwidth), and BSODs

Solution
Sep 22, 2019
What kind of internet connection are you using? I play dota 2 too and this seems connection related.
I often experience same kind of lag when my internet speed drops.
Switching API can also help if it's really pc related.

My in-game ping is constantly 2. I'm using an ethernet cable.

Sep 22, 2019

Just changing the ram alone will fix the problem?