Question Micro-stutters/freezes even with minimal FPS drops and +100 FPS

Feb 6, 2023
Hi,

I recently got back into gaming and have been encountering random micro-stutters that I don't remember having before. The strange part is that the screen freezes for a second when there are FPS drops of less than 5 FPS and several times i'm getting +100 FPS. Is this normal ??? g-sync shouldn't help in these situations? If it was like more than 30 fps drop i would understand but this. And these minimal fps drops occasional occur even when standing (no mouse movement) and get worse when running

Here the specs and some things that i have already tried:

-Legion 5-15ACH6H (2021) - Type 82JU
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H
  • NVIDIA®GeForce® RTX™ 3060 6GB and 16GB RAM

-Clean AMD and NVIDIA drivers install with DDU

-latest bios driver (v.59)

-fTPM disabled

-performance mode, hybrid mode off, temps lower than 80ºC

-Memtest86 on RAM- all good

- SFC /scannow -done

-Upgraded to W11 (no luck) and got back to W10 mantaining the files

Should i do a clean w10 install ?

Thank you

Feb 6, 2023
yes 2 sticks of samsung DDR4

some months ago i played smoothly valorant, hellblade and dying light. Recently, played biomutant (small freezes and fps are almost constant, but get worse when running), batman arkham city (smooth, but stutters when flying), sniper ghost warrior 3 ( horrible, constant stutters and felt laggy sometimes idk the fps were often +100 ) and now singularity (old game capped at 120 fps and drops to like 116 and the screen freezes for a sec).

Checked the cpu usage now, biomutant at 20% and +4000 mhz and singularity 10% and +3700 mhz

What is most odd is that it was smooth before which suggests something is different about the environment now.

The strange part is that the screen freezes for a second when there are FPS drops of less than 5 FPS
If your determining this from the FPS counter then you might want to record the MIN, AVERAGE and MAX FPS instead as the drop could be for such a short time that you don't even see it.

If you cap the frame rate at 60 do the stutters disappear?

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Feb 6, 2023
What is most odd is that it was smooth before which suggests something is different about the environment now.

If your determining this from the FPS counter then you might want to record the MIN, AVERAGE and MAX FPS instead as the drop could be for such a short time that you don't even see it.

If you cap the frame rate at 60 do the stutters disappear?
i will test it. And try the other games again to see if they also stutter. Thanks

Feb 6, 2023
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.
i will test it. thanks